Need Help with External Links to Closed Workbooks that Change Folders

cmiannay

Hi all, first time posting. I have a master tracking document (WB1) that needs to return values from an external workbook (WB2) even when WB2 is closed. I have done this successfully using workbook cell formulas.

However, WB2 has to be moved around within a shared folder structure. I'm trying to figure out how to find WB2 no matter where it resides within that structure. I've tried using "IFERROR" and "IF" statements to check each path but (yes, unbelievably) I end up exhausting the 8,192 character limit for workbook cell formulas. Why doesn't "OR" work for this issue?

A VB solution would not only hurt my newbie brain, but apparently you can't access a closed external document in VB. Opening WB2 first would work, but I've tried to keep this problem simple with only one external document... there are actually over a hundred I need to link to the master file. Opening all of them just to update my file would be a last resort.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back