Need help with simple macro that I'm sure others would find useful!

rexofspades

Hi! I'm using Excel 2010 and I have a fairly straightforward issue that I'm trying to solve. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm a good programmer but I'm new to VBA, so I don't know enough syntax and it's taking me forever to do what I think should be pretty simple... :)

I have a To Do List I'm trying to build and I would like items that are "Done" to be first copied to a separate "Done" worksheet and then deleted from the To Do List.

From the "To Do List" worksheet, when a button is activated, it should search column B for a "P" (Wingdings 2 checkmark) and then copy the entire row, switch to the "Dones" worksheet, find the next empty row and copy the data in, thereby appending the list. Then it should delete the entire row completely. For bonus points: I really want TODAY() entered into column I on the "Dones" sheet for the new entries.

I would be so grateful for help!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Do you want help learning to write a macro or do you want someone to do it for you? It is fairly easy - you let Excel "watch" (record) what you do, step by step as you do it - then you tell the recorder to stop recording. Then you let it play back and see if you got it right or not. Once the recorder gets it right, you save it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you want help learning to write a macro or do you want someone to do it for you?

Well to be honest I'd like someone to do it for me. :eek:

I'm eager to learn but have to consider workplace time constraints. You can understand the irony of spending too much time creating a to do list to help better manage my time.

Upvote 0
Hi candybg,

The problem with just recording a macro is that I don't see how you'd "record" searching the list for a specific character, then select that row and perform the action of finding the next empty row before pasting.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi rexofspades,

Try this (initially on a copy of your data as the results cannot be undone if they're not as expected):

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Const lngStartRow As Long = 2 'Starting (static) row number for the data. Change to suit, if necessary.

Dim lngLastRow As Long
    Dim lngPasteRow As Long
    Dim rngMyCell As Range
    Dim rngDelRange As Range
    Dim wsSourceTab As Worksheet
    Dim wsOutputTab As Worksheet

Set wsSourceTab = Sheets("To Do List")
    Set wsOutputTab = Sheets("Done")

lngLastRow = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For Each rngMyCell In wsSourceTab.Range("B" & lngStartRow & ":B" & lngLastRow)
        If rngMyCell = "P" Then
            lngPasteRow = wsOutputTab.Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row + 1
            wsSourceTab.Rows(rngMyCell.Row).Copy Destination:=wsOutputTab.Range("A" & lngPasteRow)
            wsOutputTab.Range("I" & lngPasteRow) = Format(Now(), "dd/mm/yyyy") 'Today's date in 'dd/mm/yyyy' format. Change to suit.
            If rngDelRange Is Nothing Then
                Set rngDelRange = wsSourceTab.Cells(rngMyCell.Row, "A")
            Else
                Set rngDelRange = Union(rngDelRange, wsSourceTab.Cells(rngMyCell.Row, "A"))
            End If
        End If
    Next rngMyCell

'If the 'rngDelRange' range has been set, then...
    If Not rngDelRange Is Nothing Then
        '...delete the row(s) from it and inform the user
        rngDelRange.EntireRow.Delete
        MsgBox "All done entries marked with a tick have now been transferred to the """ & wsOutputTab.Name & """ tab.", vbInformation
    'Else...
    Else
        '...inform the user that no rows were deleted as there was no matching criteria in the dataset.
        MsgBox "There were no rows deleted as no there were no matching criteria.", vbExclamation
    End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Set wsSourceTab = Nothing
    Set wsOutputTab = Nothing

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Robert! You're my hero! That worked very well, with minimal fiddling. (It did break another macro I was using that toggled cells in Column B from "S" to "P", but no matter!)

Only thing that would be helpful: How can I make it so that this line just pastes values?

<code>
wsSourceTab.Rows(rngMyCell.Row).Copy Destination:=wsOutputTab.Range("A" & lngPasteRow)</code>

Also to nit pick, is it possible to have a border be inserted in the same operation here (it erases borders):

<code>
wsOutputTab.Range("I" & lngPasteRow) = Format(Now(), "mm/dd/yy")</code>

Thanks so very much for helping me out.

Best,

Addison

Upvote 0
Try something like this in a standard module.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub P_Done_Date()

Dim c As Range

For Each c In Range("B2:B" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)

If c.Value = "P" Then
        Range(c.Offset(, -1), c.End(xlToRight)).Copy _
             Sheets("Done").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2)
        Range(c.Offset(, -1), c.End(xlToRight)).ClearContents
        c.Offset(, -1) = Date
      End If

Next 'c

Application.CutCopyMode = False

End Sub

Upvote 0
Robert! You're my hero!

You need to aim higher :LOL:

It did break another macro I was using that toggled cells in Column B from "S" to "P", but no matter!

Switching enable events to off before running the macro and back on after its completion (as I have done with the revised macro below) should resolve this.

Only thing that would be helpful: How can I make it so that this line just pastes values?

This has been coded on the revised macro below.

Also to nit pick, is it possible to have a border be inserted in the same operation here (it erases borders)

This has been coded on the revised macro below.

Regards,

Robert

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Const lngStartRow As Long = 2 'Starting (static) row number for the data. Change to suit, if necessary.

Dim lngLastRow As Long
    Dim lngPasteRow As Long
    Dim rngMyCell As Range
    Dim rngDelRange As Range
    Dim wsSourceTab As Worksheet
    Dim wsOutputTab As Worksheet

Set wsSourceTab = Sheets("To Do List")
    Set wsOutputTab = Sheets("Done")

lngLastRow = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

With Application
        .EnableEvents = False
        .ScreenUpdating = False
    End With

For Each rngMyCell In wsSourceTab.Range("B" & lngStartRow & ":B" & lngLastRow)
        If rngMyCell = "P" Then
            lngPasteRow = wsOutputTab.Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row + 1
            wsSourceTab.Rows(rngMyCell.Row).Copy
            wsOutputTab.Rows(lngPasteRow).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues 'http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23937262/excel-vba-copy-paste-values-only-xlpastevalues
            wsOutputTab.Range("I" & lngPasteRow) = Format(Now(), "dd/mm/yyyy") 'Today's date in 'dd/mm/yyyy' format. Change to suit.
            With wsOutputTab.Range("I" & lngPasteRow).Borders
                .LineStyle = xlContinuous
                .Weight = xlThin
            End With
            If rngDelRange Is Nothing Then
                Set rngDelRange = wsSourceTab.Cells(rngMyCell.Row, "A")
            Else
                Set rngDelRange = Union(rngDelRange, wsSourceTab.Cells(rngMyCell.Row, "A"))
            End If
        End If
    Next rngMyCell

'If the 'rngDelRange' range has been set, then...
    If Not rngDelRange Is Nothing Then
        '...delete the row(s) from it and inform the user
        rngDelRange.EntireRow.Delete
        MsgBox "All done entries marked with a tick have now been transferred to the """ & wsOutputTab.Name & """ tab.", vbInformation
    'Else...
    Else
        '...inform the user that no rows were deleted as there was no matching criteria in the dataset.
        MsgBox "There were no rows deleted as no there were no matching criteria.", vbExclamation
    End If

With Application
        .EnableEvents = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With

Set wsSourceTab = Nothing
    Set wsOutputTab = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
Try something like this in a standard module.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub P_Done_Date()

Dim c As Range

For Each c In Range("B2:B" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)

If c.Value = "P" Then
        Range(c.Offset(, -1), c.End(xlToRight)).Copy _
             Sheets("Done").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2)
        Range(c.Offset(, -1), c.End(xlToRight)).ClearContents
        c.Offset(, -1) = Date
      End If

Next 'c

Application.CutCopyMode = False

End Sub

Hi Howard! Thank you! Is that in lieu of Robert's suggestion? Robert's code worked very well. I'm just now trying to adapt it to paste values.

Thanks!

Addison

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back