Need some creative ideas

automationamateur

Board Regular
Hello all,

I am in need of some creative ideas for the following task: I need to compare hundreds of products to each other to find products that are similar/dis-similar based on the ingredients in their recipes. See below example products to illustrate my idea. In this product set I need some sort of algorithm/methodology that would programatically (quickly on a large scale) identify apple and cherry pie products as similar because there is only a one ingredient difference in their respective recipes and lasagna may be similar to other products but not with apple or cherry pie. To clarify, what I am not looking for is a match, deduplicate, list compare or anything like that.

Thoughts??? As always, any help is appreciated.

• Product A is a cherry pie, which contains sugar, butter, flour and cherries (the exact same recipe as apple pie but with cherries instead of apples)
  • Product B is a apple pie, which contains sugar, butter, flour and applies (the exact same recipe as cherry pie but with applies instead of cherries)
  • Product C is lasagna, which contains pasta, meat, tomato sauce, basil, etc

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I think this would be quite easy with a double loop in vba. Assuming that the product list and ingredients in in one worksheet. load the whole worksheet into a variant array, create an output array withthe same number of rows as the list of product, then create an outloop than runs down the whole product list. first count the number of ingredients in the the current product, then loop round all the other products and compare the ingredients on each product to the current product, if there is only one product different then add the name of that to the output array in the same row and the current product name. , keep searching and adding more similar products in aother columns, until the end of the list. Then the loop goes onto the next "current product"

Upvote 0
These kind of things come down to structure. How you structure the data will better allow for the comparison.
If it were as the example implies, just 3 rows of strings (like sentences), it would be difficult.
However, if each row had enough columns to contain X amount of ingredients; 1 ingredient in each column, you could then write a macro that grouped similar products together by common ingredients.

Upvote 0
automationamateur,

Would it be possible to see your actual raw data workbook/worksheets, and, what the results (manually formatted by you) should look like?

You can post your workbook/worksheets to the following free site (sensitive data changed), mark the workbook for sharing, and, provide us with a link to your workbook:

https://dropbox.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herushi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back