Need to assess multiple values from an array, maybe a VLOOKUP, not really sure!

MyGConnorD

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All, looking for someone to help me out with this, as i haven't got a clue myself!

Here's the screenshot of the excel sheet.

1655910364398.png

For my work we have primary and QC work in which someone working on Primary, shouldn't work on QC side within the same "Program Name". Essentially what i want to do is for the cells in column D, if they are e.g. within the "L001" subset from column A, then I want to lookup the potential Values in column B for that subset, and ensure that (maybe through Data Validation or Conditional Formatting) flag up that these initials have already been entered in the "Primary" column (B).

I managed to get this to work, specifying "L001", however that would require me entering in manually in to hundreds of cells, and new row's will likely be added throughout my work (However, L001 will always be ordered in a group together, L002 etc.). So was looking to see if there was a general formula that could work for this.

Thank you in advance all, if i haven't made sense whatsoever, please let me know!

Using Office 365 btw.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

Try:

Book3
ABCDEF
1Program NamePrimary ProgrammerDate/Time CreatedQC ReviewerDate of QC ReviewQC Comments
2L001CD6/3/2022TB6/3/2022
3L001CD6/9/2022IE6/9/2022
4L001CD6/15/2022DB6/15/2022
5L001CD6/22/2022CD
6L002TB
7L003CD
8L003TBCD
9L004
Sheet13
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
D:DExpression=COUNTIFS(A:A,A1,B:B,D1)textNO

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

Try:

Book3
ABCDEF
1Program NamePrimary ProgrammerDate/Time CreatedQC ReviewerDate of QC ReviewQC Comments
2L001CD6/3/2022TB6/3/2022
3L001CD6/9/2022IE6/9/2022
4L001CD6/15/2022DB6/15/2022
5L001CD6/22/2022CD
6L002TB
7L003CD
8L003TBCD
9L004
Sheet13
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
D:DExpression=COUNTIFS(A:A,A1,B:B,D1)textNO
Hi Eric, thanks for your quick response! Thank you, I'm very new, as you can probably tell haha!

So that works but within columns, whereas I think I require an extra step in that I need this rule to occur within a subset of e.g. "L001". So basically it's fine for the "CD" to be there in cell D8 in the previous screenshot as that relates to program name "L003".

Below i've got another screenshot now of how it should look when split by subsets:

1655915010793.png

Hope I've explained the issue to some degree, many thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I don't understand the difference. D8 was highlighted in the previous example because the program on A8 was L0003, and CD worked on L0003 (row 7). That same situation appears in your most recent example (rows 10 and 8).

And no worries about being new! You'll get up to speed in no time. One suggestion I would make is that you look into the XL2BB add-in tool. This tool (which I used in post 2) allows you to post a mini-sheet that the helpers here can copy directly to Excel so they can work on it. It's far easier than having to retype everything from a screen print. See the link in my signature or the reply box. It's easy to download, install, and use.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I don't understand the difference. D8 was highlighted in the previous example because the program on A8 was L0003, and CD worked on L0003 (row 7). That same situation appears in your most recent example (rows 10 and 8).

And no worries about being new! You'll get up to speed in no time. One suggestion I would make is that you look into the XL2BB add-in tool. This tool (which I used in post 2) allows you to post a mini-sheet that the helpers here can copy directly to Excel so they can work on it. It's far easier than having to retype everything from a screen print. See the link in my signature or the reply box. It's easy to download, install, and use.
Ahhh right i see now, sorry my bad! Thank you for your help!

Yeah hopefully spend a lot more time on here now, got a couple of process improvements in mind but have nowhere near your excel genius to execute them haha

Awesome, i'll take a look at that now, thank you!

Upvote 0
There are a lot of very bright people here who are very generous with their time. I'm sure you can find some good improvements for your system.

Glad I could help! 😎

Upvote 0
Sorry Eric to keep on this thread, This works awesome for Conditional Formatting now, however was thinking of maybe putting it into a Data Validation so that it would pop up a warning, however it seems not to like that, is there a reason for this? Conditional formatting is working amazing now (thank you!) so no issue just wondering why it wouldn't work with Data Validation tool also?

Upvote 0
Same basic formula, you just need to tweak it a little for DV:

1655917521511.png

In essence you just need to reverse the TRUE/FALSE value, so that the DV formula says TRUE if there is no match, thus allowing it to be entered. You can put your own customer error messge on the Error Alert tab.

Upvote 0
Same basic formula, you just need to tweak it a little for DV:

View attachment 67725

In essence you just need to reverse the TRUE/FALSE value, so that the DV formula says TRUE if there is no match, thus allowing it to be entered. You can put your own customer error messge on the Error Alert tab.

You are an Excel Wizard my friend haha, thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back