Need to check if date is within specific range (list of dates)

footitch

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Background, I am checking the start dates for agile sprints against a specific range

Data is like this...

Anchor Start DateSprint Start DateWithin Range?
1/1/201/3/20
1/15/201/6/20
1/29/201/28/20

I need to run a check on all 'sprint start dates' and see if any of those dates are within 3 days (plus or minus) of any of the 'anchor start dates'. I need to have a 'yes or no' value in the 'within range' column. I've tried using DATEDIF, nested AND statements. Can't seem to get it to work.

1. So if I check 1/3/20 against the list of all anchor dates it should return 'yes'
  2. If I check 1/6/20 against the list of all anchor dates it should return 'no'

Thanks all!

-joe

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Ugly, but functional...

=IFERROR(IF(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(MATCH(B2,$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(B2-1,$A$2:$A$4,0)),MATCH(B2-2,$A$2:$A$4,0)),MATCH(B2-3,$A$2:$A$4,0)),MATCH(B2+1,$A$2:$A$4,0)),MATCH(B2+2,A2:A4,0)),MATCH(B2+3,$A$2:$A$4,0))>0.1,"YES",""),"NO")

Upvote 0
Hi Joe, you can try something in c2 like
if(abs(b2-a2)<=3 , "Yes","No")

when you subtract one date from another the result is the number of days.
Abs gives the absolute value, so -3 becomes 3 etc

Upvote 0
Hi Footitch,

Does this do what you want?

Footitch.xlsx
ABC
1Anchor Start DateSprint Start DateWithin Range?
201-Jan-2003-Jan-20Yes
315-Jan-2006-Jan-20No
429-Jan-2028-Jan-20Yes
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C4C2=IF(ISERROR(AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$2:$A$999)-ROW($A$1)/(ABS($A$2:$A$999-B2)<=3),1)),"No","Yes")

Upvote 0
My Man, ToadStool. Many Thanks. Can you talk me through the logic? I know what the aggregate function does (kind of, not sure of all of the parameters).
  • What is the 15,6 all about?
  • What does the "/" do in the middle of the function?

Upvote 0
Let's describe the front and back first:
=IF(ISERROR(
,"No","Yes")
Says that if the AGGREGATE returns an error (which in this case would be a #NUM error when no row number can be returned) then No, otherwise Yes

AGGREGATE has many functions but I'm using option 15 for SMALL and the 6 says don't return an error while performing the SMALL

At the end the ",1)" is the k parameter for SMALL, which will return the 1st lowest, then second, then thirds based on the value of k. In this case I am just looking for a single match so use 1.

ROW($A$2:$A$999)-ROW($A$1)
Says don't use the values of column A but rather the row numbers(I could omit the minus row one because that's usually used to get the right INDEX but we're not doing that here) so it'll check rows 2 to 999. The divide says if the divisor is TRUE then I'll get row being looked at / 1 meaning I'll get the row number. If the divisor is FALSE it divides by 0 so I get an error, which the option 6 ignores.

/(ABS($A$2:$A$999-B2)<=3)
Says divide the contents of A2 to A999 and take the ABSolute value (we don't care if it's 3 days before or after the Anchor Start) less Sprint Start for this row and if less than or equal to 3 then return TRUE.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back