Nested IF statement for range of cells containing different combinations of text

Suelizzy

Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

I'm attempting to summarize the output from a poorly designed online survey that contains 170 columns (really).

Is there a nested IF statement that will output into one of four phrases: "Safe", "At Risk", "Both", or "Not Indicated"?

One of several safety topics are listed in column T, and a mix of blank cells, "Safe" and/or "At Risk" are present in any of the cells in columns U through FK.

There are over 6500 rows...

Here's how I'd like to summarize each row:

If there are one to several cells within the range of columns U through FK that contain (only) the text "Safe", then return "Safe"
If there are one to several cells within the range of columns U through FK that contain (only) the text "At Risk", then return "At Risk"
If there is any mix of cells within the range of columns U through FK that contain "Safe" AND "At Risk", then return "Both"
If there is no text in the cells within the range of columns U through FK , then return "Not Indicated"

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks mucho!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Try this in cell T3 (if that is the top cell in Column T):

=IF(AND(SUMPRODUCT(--(UPPER(U3:FK6500)="SAFE"))>0,SUMPRODUCT(--(UPPER(U3:FK6500)="AT RISK"))>0),"Both",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(UPPER(U3:FK6500)="SAFE"))>0,"Safe",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(UPPER(U3:FK6500)="AT RISK"))>0,"At Risk","Not Indicated")))

then copy down.

I've used SUMPRODUCT rather than COUNTIF because it allows me to convert the tested cells to Upper Case and hence avoid any case sensitivity.

PS. The equation is quite slow so if you're confident that the case of the search is known, ie all Safe enteries are 'Safe' not SAFE or safe, then you could shorten tht function by deleting the UPPER(U3:FK6500) and replacing with U3:FK6500 as this should speed it up.

PPS. Try this first as the function above is so slow the spreadsheet looks like its crashed!!!

=IF(AND(SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK6500="SAFE"))>0,SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK6500="AT RISK"))>0),"Both",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK6500="SAFE"))>0,"Safe",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK6500="AT RISK"))>0,"At Risk","Not Indicated")))

HTH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another solution, e.g. in T2:
Code:
=INDEX({"Not indicated","Safe","At Risk","Both"},1+ISNUMBER(MATCH("Safe",U2:FK2,0))+2*ISNUMBER(MATCH("At Risk",U2:FK2,0)))

Upvote 0
Please ignore the previous post - it runs unbelievably slowly because I've used the wrong range!!

This formula actually works in T3 and copied down:

=IF(AND(SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK3="SAFE"))>0,SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK3="AT RISK"))>0),"Both",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK3="SAFE"))>0,"Safe",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(U3:FK3="AT RISK"))>0,"At Risk","Not Indicated")))

HTH

Upvote 0
@MarcelBeug,

I like that solution, its elegant and I think quicker than mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
Hello and thanks again for your help with this. I was wondering if there is an equivalent type of query in access that will output the same information - - without having to use each of the 100+ field names. I've searched the web on how to create a named range in Access but not sure I'm searching for the right thing or if I'm even on the right track.

Basically, I would like to summarize data from a bunch of columns into one field in access depending on the combination of data in the bunch of columns. Not sure concatenate is the right thing... If anyone knows if this can be done, and if so, how to do it, I will love you forever! Thanks :+)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back