nesting "IF" statements problem

jvsa

Dear users,

I am new to this forum and hope to get some help on the following and possible future problems.

I have a problem nesting four "IF" statements into one function.
The several other threads on this problem helped me to no avail.

Here are my four statements:

Code:
=IF(AND($H$5="any";$H$7<>"any");SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7)))

=IF(AND($H$5<>"any";$H$7="any");SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!C30:C40")=$H$5)))

=IF(AND($H$5<>"any";$H$7<>"any");SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!C30:C40")=$H$5)*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7)))

=IF(AND($H$5="any";$H$7="any");SUM(INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40")))
The goal is to retrieve data from another sheet (hence the "INDIRECT" statements), depending on two variables.

The individual statements work perfectly, but combining them in any way gives me errors. I'm not sure if the problem is too many statements in my function.
I'm using Excel 2008 for Mac.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Johan

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
You'll kick yourself mate...

you've got semicolons in there. Swap them for commas

("," instead of ";")

I just tried your function with those swapped around, and it works fine

So to revise, it should read:

Code:
=IF(AND($H$5="any",$H$7<>"any"),SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7)))

Ciao

Upvote 0
Wait - sorry I completely misread your question I just noticed the code. Don't use macs - do they have semicolons instead of commas in their excel? Weird.

Anyway let me have a proper look at it and I'll get back to you in a minute.

Upvote 0
Indeed,
replacing the semicolons by commas gives me new errors,
I guess it's a mac thing, although we use our excel files cross-platform without problems.
Once again thank you for your efforts.

Upvote 0
try:
Code:
=IF($H$5="any";IF($H$7="any";SUM(INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40");SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7)));IF($H$7="any";SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!C30:C40")=$H$5));SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!C30:C40")=$H$5)*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7))))

I don't know if on Mac's semicolons are used instead of commas by default, but on Windows PC's if you change the decimal separator to ",", the formula separator is automatically changed to ";".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gecs,

your function doesn't give me errors, (I had to add a parenthesis at the end), but does not give me the desired result either.
The function is meant to add up hours for several activities spent on different projects, it's on a timesheet basically.
The outcome of the function depends on two variables, both coming from named lists in a different workbook. One variable is "project", the other being "activity". Both of those lists contain a value "any", to sum up all hours spent in all projects on a certain activity, or all hours spent on any activity in a certain project, or to be able to give a sum of all hours spent on any activity for all projects

Only this last number is produced by your function, using other variables always produces "FALSE".
I'll try and change the function you gave me to make it work, your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you, Johan

Upvote 0
The missing parenthesis had to be added elsewhere, not at the end, but before the third semicolon - I could not test the function otherwise except transforming the SUMPRODUCT(....) sections into strings, so missing that parenthesis when copied from your example lead to such a mistake, sorry.

Try this one:
Code:
=IF($H$5="any";IF($H$7="any";SUM(INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"));SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7)));IF($H$7="any";SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!C30:C40")=$H$5));SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT($I$3&"!I30:I40"))*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!C30:C40")=$H$5)*(INDIRECT($I$3&"!D30:D40")=$I$7))))

it should work if the conditions used in the IF statements are correct.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back