Networking linked spreadsheets - best practice

AyurvedaPura

Hi

I have a number - about 25 - of manufacturing log spreadsheets that need to exist on a networked workstation - let's call it WKSTN 02. These contain multiple sheets.

These logs contain cell references which are linked to several other sheets on a Master Stock List spreadsheet - a separate workbook - which will mostly be accessed from another networked workstation - lets call it WKSTN 01.

My question is:

How to best set up the links and position the workbooks?

Should I:

1) Simply link all the worksbooks and sheets in WKSTN 02, and then drop shortcuts / newtowrk links to WKSTN 01, so launching my Master Stock List from WKSTN 01 will simply refer to the files on WKSTN 02.

2) Set up the Manufacturing logs on WKSTN 02, the Master Stock List on WKSTN 01, and link the cells across the network.

ie, should I keep all the linked workbooks together in one location and then launch from other networked computers from this one location, or is it better to set up the links themselves within the spreadsheets across the network?

I hope this is clear, I've never set up books that need to be linked and run from different machines on a network, so any advice will be gratefully received!

Regards

Daniel

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Welcome to MrExcel.

If you are going to link workbooks it's best if they share the same path. That way the links will still work when the workbooks are moved, because the links are stored in a relative manner.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew - so I take it this means that it would be best if the entire linked system exists on one machine, and then other machines simply refer to that network location when wishing to access the workbooks (ie launch from the network location where all the linked books are kept) rather than have one sheet on one machine, and the cell links reaching across the network to another machine where the other sheets are?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smarti1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back