Next Full Moon AND Daylight Savings (Kudos/Hall of Fame Opportunity Only)

BrooksTech

Board Regular
Some of you folks could come up with the answer to this far quicker than I could
painstakingly do:

How many years must pass before theres a Full Moon AND Daylight Savings Clock Adjustment falling on the same date? (This I guess could include both the Fall AND Spring time adjustment dates.)

My curiosity about this arose since this November 12th, there will be such an instance. I imagine it is quite rare. Just for example last year was the first
Full Moon Christmas in about 17 years.

Anyways again, all I can offer is a big THANK YOU, Kudos, and recommendation to
Hall of Fame if you provide the answer.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Just curious what location you're in...

In US, time change is Nov. 6th; just checked UK since there seem to be quite a few on this forum from there and theirs was Oct 30...?

Cheers,
~ Jim

Upvote 0
According to my calendars (in the USA), DST ends on 11/6 at 2:00 am, not the 12th, and the full moon this month is the 14th. Next year, the full moon is on 11/4 and DST ends on 11/5 at 2:00 am. March 12, 2017 is a full moon and DST begins at 2:00 am.

In 2018, neither day is close to a full moon, and my moon calendar doesn't go beyond that.

Upvote 0
A given moon phase coincides with the same calendar date every 235 lunar cycles, or 19 years.

Upvote 0
A person, who can predict the exact start and end dates of DST decades from now, definitely can be recommended for the Hall of Fame :cool:

Upvote 0
That sounds theoretically correct, however news agencies everywhere have said next "supermoon" wont be til 2034 (18 years from now) Maybe theres some other factor to account for the 1 year difference, but thanks.

Upvote 0
OK thanks Eric. I goofed slightly here cus DST in proximity to the Supermoon was confused with the factor I MEANT to say, which was a full moon at closest proximity to Earth. What I dont get however and only an Astronomer could answer, is why does the supermoon jump from 1948 to 2016 and then back down to 2034? (Not a fixed number of years)

Upvote 0
Well, I'm FAR from being an expert on Supermoons! Most of what I know I got from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon

Based on that, a Supermoon actually happens about once every 14 months. However, all Supermoons are not created equal. Some are closer to the earth than others. The one in 2016 was closer than every Supermoon since 1948. There will be other Supermoons from 2016 until 2034, but in 2034 the moon will be closer to the earth than in 2016.

You can still ask why the Supermoons of closest approach do not happen at regular intervals. My guess is that it's just because the orbits involved are not simple functions. There's the orbit of the earth around the sun, plus the axial tilt of the earth, plus the orbit of the moon around the earth, with its tilt. Plus keep in mind that the orbits are not circles, but ellipses (ovals). So by tilting the orbits just a little to the left or right, or making the oval a little fatter or skinnier, or speeding up/slowing down the speed of the moon just a little, or making it a little closer or further from the earth, etc. When you factor in all those elements, and a few more, in 3 dimensions, you get a very complicated set of equations that has a very complicated set of answers.

I know that's not an exact answer, but I hope it helps!

Upvote 0
What I dont get however and only an Astronomer could answer, is why does the supermoon jump from 1948 to 2016 and then back down to 2034? (Not a fixed number of years)
Because supermoons are a definitional issue, not a mathematical one. All supermoons of a given proximity to the earth occur at regular intervals but not all supermoons have the same proximity to the earth. A simple change in definition could increase or decrese the supermoon frequency. For example, if the definition were changed to include any full moon where the moon is closer than the average proximity, there'd be far more 'supermoons' than what are currently reported as such. Conversely, if the definition were limited to only those full moons that occur when the moon is at its closest proximity to the earth, they'r be very rare.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back