Not an easy one - sorry!

stuartk812

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
OK I need some help!! I'm (trying) to pull together a file before going away on a golf trip.

I've managed to get to a point where I have an individual score sheet, with scoring boxes for 5 days. I then also have a "team" tab.

Now what I need....

When we're away, we do a draw each night to see whos score yours will be paired with each day. So say on Day 1, even tho Jean has played her round with Tommy, her Day 1 partner on the sheet may be drawn as Kath.

I would like to be able to select a drop down on the team score tab for the partner, and for it to then work out the combined scores of the 2 people for that day.

So, if I select Kath as Jeans partner on Day 1, the sheet then combines Jeans day 1 score with Kaths day 1 score and adds them together. But if were to select Tommy, or Jimmy, it would then do then add Jeans day 1 score to theirs instead.

Is that possible?! Help needed!!

Attachments

• excel.JPG
    excel.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Yes it is possible and should be fairly easy.
What does your Individual Scores sheet look like? I might be able to write up a single formula that you can place in all the scoring sections for your Teams sheet.

Upvote 0
Oh really?! Amazing - thank you.

I've attached an image of what the individual scores looks like.
Yes it is possible and should be fairly easy.
What does your Individual Scores sheet look like? I might be able to write up a single formula that you can place in all the scoring sections for your Teams sheet.

Attachments

• individual.JPG
    individual.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
Try this (use some sample data to test if it works correctly):
=IFNA(SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN(Names))),INDIRECT("'Individual Scores'!B:B"),0),((COLUMN()-COLUMN(Names))/2)+2,,,"Individual Scores")),INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),INDIRECT("'Individual Scores'!B:B"),0),((COLUMN()-COLUMN(Names))/2)+2,,,"Individual Scores"))),"")

Paste this into any of the Day X Points boxes. If there isn't a partner it won't have a value.

Upvote 0
Try this (use some sample data to test if it works correctly):
=IFNA(SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN(Names))),INDIRECT("'Individual Scores'!B:B"),0),((COLUMN()-COLUMN(Names))/2)+2,,,"Individual Scores")),INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),INDIRECT("'Individual Scores'!B:B"),0),((COLUMN()-COLUMN(Names))/2)+2,,,"Individual Scores"))),"")

Paste this into any of the Day X Points boxes. If there isn't a partner it won't have a value.
I'm getting an "Invalid Name Error" when using this and it's just showing as #NAME?

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Another option, that doesn't use volatile functions
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(sumifs('Individual Scores'!$C$8:$C$15,'Individual Scores'!$A$8:$A$15,$B5:$C5))

Upvote 0
I'm getting an "Invalid Name Error" when using this and it's just showing as #NAME?
Ah! Right! I knew I was forgetting something, the only other thing is to select all the names in the Team Score sheet and name the "Names"

Upvote 0
Ah! Right! I knew I was forgetting something, the only other thing is to select all the names in the Team Score sheet and name the "Names"
Very aware I'm probably being very stupid here, so apologies - but not sure what you mean by this or what to do?

Upvote 0
Another option, that doesn't use volatile functions
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(sumifs('Individual Scores'!$C$8:$C$15,'Individual Scores'!$A$8:$A$15,$B5:$C5))
I tried this, but it always returns a "0" - again am I doing something wrong? Apologies!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back