Not an external link

Giordano Bruno

I have an excel file named "New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm" with a number of filenames that look something like
'=OFFSET('New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!StartGraphDate,0,0,1,'New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!WksCt),OFFSET(MC,0,1,1,'New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!WksCt)
I'm not sure how they started, but I need to remove the unnecessary reference to the file name. Since the reference is to this workbook, there are no external links.
If anyone has any clues how they may be corrected and/or how they may have crept in in the first place, I would be most grateful.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Try this
Take a backup of your workbook first.

Ctrl+H (replace)
In Find What paste in this
'New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!
Don't put anything in replace with box

In the Within box select workbook

Hit the Replace All button.

Upvote 0
Hi Alex. Many thanks for your interest and your suggestion. Unfortunately the file name appears only in the definition of the name, not the name itself, so searching for it in the formulas will not find anything. I have no idea why Excel would ever do this. I didn't write the file name in myself when creating the definition.

Upvote 0
Hi Alex. Yes, the name quite separate. One of the names is "PWdata" and it refers to:
'=OFFSET('New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!StartGraphDate,0,0,1,'New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!WksCt),OFFSET(MC,0,1,1,'New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'!WksCt)
If I go through the editing process in the Name Manager and remove those unnecessary references, It still works just as before, but there are lots of them and they are unnecessary and they do bug me.

Upvote 0
Do they all contain contain exactly the same file name ie 'New Weekly Report Summary 2020 02 10.xlsm'! ?
Also are they all in use or are most of them just carried over from a previous template,

Upvote 0
If I understand it correctly and the spreadsheet is referencing an xlsm file in the name manager and that needs to be removed.
Then try this on a copy of your spreadsheet.

VBA Code:
Sub NameRangeLoop()

Dim rngName As Name
    Dim findStr As String
    Dim findPos As Long
    Dim replaceFrom As Long
    Dim replaceStr As String

findStr = ".xlsm'"

For Each rngName In ActiveWorkbook.Names
        findPos = InStr(1, rngName.RefersTo, findStr, vbTextCompare)
        If findPos <> 0 Then
            replaceFrom = InStr(rngName.RefersTo, "'")
            replaceStr = Mid(rngName.RefersTo, replaceFrom, findPos + 5 - replaceFrom + 2)

rngName.RefersTo = Replace(rngName.RefersTo, replaceStr, "")

End If
    Next rngName

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks so much Alex. Yes, they are all the same since they all refer to this workbook. I'll try your code tomorrow, but it looks good to me.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again GB

Upvote 0
Hi Alex,
Tested and works great. Just a note for others; as I understand it, the reference to the single quote works because the name has spaces and would require some other identifier if that were not the case. I'm also surprised that it removes the file references even when they are present multiple times in a singe name.
I'm still mystified by the process which introduces these unneeded references to itself.
Thanks again Alex for your patience and time helping me with this.

Upvote 0
You are correct. It was just something I knocked up quickly as an initial proof of concept.
There are quite a few other variable eg
- as you said if there are no spaces in the file name it doesn't use the single quotes.
- If it is a Sheet Scoped named range as opposed to a workbook scoped.
- In your case it was name pointing to a name, pointing at an actually range of cells changing the format as well.

Thank you for providing feedback and glad I was able to help.

PS: I can't shed any light on how your workbook finished up with those external references.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back