numeric moving averages

vanclute

Board Regular
OK I may be asking Excel to do something it's really not designed for, but here goes anyway...

I have a workbook consisting of 5 worksheets:

A) Advertising Expenses
B) Revenue tied to specific ad campaigns
C) Pivot tables summarizing a & b
D) Line item detail (table calculating information about each ad campaign)
E) Daily breakdown (pivot tables) with chart

I have a lovely chart on sheet E that shows me the current month's trend, and I can easily plot a 5 day moving average to see how we're trending over the near term.

However, I'd also like to be able to show what the CURRENT 5-day MA is, next to each of the items on D, so that I can cancel or extend a specific ad campaign based on its current trend.

In other words, if I see a campaign has been running for several weeks but today its revenue has fallen below the 5-day MA, I want to end that ad campaign.

I can already see this visually on the chart, but I have to fiddle with the pivot tables too much on sheet E. I'd like to just see at a glance and maybe use conditional formatting to show me red & green next to each line item on sheet D.

This is probably better suited to a database application, but I'm working in Excel so... it is what it is.

Suggestions on how to accomplish this?

I can get a 5-day MA directly on sheets A & B using an array formula, but I think I need to somehow marry that to a VLOOKUP from sheet D in order to reference the calculation on an entire column of data from sheet A, to the single item on sheet D.

Does this make sense to anyone but me? :)

Thanks all!

Jonathan

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Does this make sense to anyone but me? :)
I only have a vague idea. However, it strikes me that it would be a lot clearer if you could post some small sample screen shots. Particularly sheets E, A & B. If you can idicate on the relevant one(s) of those, this additional information you want (just entered manually), then it is more likely somebody will be able to offer advice.

You can post small screen shots with:

Excel jeanie
or
Colo's HTML Maker

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back