Offset returns #VALUE! error when linking to external workbooks

LearnByGoogle

Hi,

I am using an OFFSET formula to pull every second cell in a column into my new workbook however it displays the #VALUE ! error unless the other workbook stays open.

I receive a file from my global head office which includes engagement survey scores (lets call it Global). This file displays each department across the top of the worksheet and the questions down the side. The results are then displayed in the table however it has the most recent score in cell D7 (example) then it has the previous surveys score in D8, then the next questions current score in D9 then the previous score for that question in D10 (etc.) The question cells are then merged across those 2 rows for the current score and previous score (so C7 and C8 are merged with the question text in that merged cell). There is also similar merging of cells in the headings row with the department names. I have created my own workbook (Lets call it Model) to analyse these scores and have pulled them into my workbook using the OFFSET formula to skip over every second cell (the previous score) and only display the current score. It works fine until I close the Global file and I dont want to have to have them both open to work in the Model file.

I cannot use INDEX MATCH or VLOOKUP because of all the merging of cells in the Global file. How can I pull the scores into the Model file without having to have the Global file open at the same time?

The formula I am using is -
OFFSET('[180710 RANZG overall results Engagement Scan 2018 June (Q2).xlsx]Team overview'!F$7,ROWS(D$8:D8)*2-2,0)

Hopefully this explanation makes sense.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back