Optimizing/loop help

loderdodger

Hi everyone,
This is a bit related to my last post: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1991644

What I am trying to do is create a specific "optimizer" type macro for some data I will have.

What I'm working with is a spreadsheet has the $ costs for different projects and an associated Return on Investment (ROI) number for each project. I also will have a budget number for all projects that will not be big enough to pay for all the projects.

So what I would like to do is have a macro that will - look at the Rank of each project (by ROI) and "remove" the project with the lowest ROI, then check to see if the total costs are less than the budget, if not, again look at the lowest ROI and remove that project, then check the budget, and so on, until the costs eventually are within the budget $ amount.

Any suggestions anyone may have on how I could set something like this up, or any specific functions that may make this easier would be greatly appreciated. I just know basic VBA so I'm just figuring this out as I go.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi,

For this type of problem, you could use the Excel Solver function.

Microsoft provides a sample file solvsamp.xls (which I think is packaged with distributions of Excel or you can search for it on the web & download it).

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back