Outside source connection vs pasting as link

osubuckeye2007

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm working with a lot of files where the process could be sped up by simply importing the information, rather than typing it in by hand.

Most of my source files consist of tables. Ex, an .xls with 15k rows/8 columns, a few .xsld around 20 rows/20 columns, and even some .xlsx files where entire sheets are needed. (I only need data from one type of source per file, I am not asking for a way to link to all types at once)

As I start to dabble in importing these, I'm not sure that I'm using the best method. I have searched up and down the web and cannot find a clear explanation of the differences and best uses for "creating a connection from other sources" vs "pasting as link" or even just opening the source file and copying the desired sheet into my active workbook.

Can anyone give me a quick run-down on best uses for these 3 different methods? pros and cons? or a source where I can read about the topic for myself?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back