parent row %

skinpup

Hello

Apologies I have read the instructions for this on Microsoft help page a dozen times but I'm just not getting it and I can't find similar question on our site.

<tbody></tbody>

What setting in the drop down for 'show value as...' would give me the result job end/job start - for each row?

On the pivot table values box in field list I have a job start value and two job end values below that, thought I would be able to get the % of job ends and the actual number in two columns next to each other but I keep getting:
  • the % of total job ends rather than job ends/job start
  • column goes blank

Count of Job start
Count of Job end
Count of Job end2
Leeds
how do i get 100/200 as %
Glasgow
7/94 %
Bath
1/16 %

etc
etc

<tbody>
</tbody>

What am I doing wrong?

Using excel 2010

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Make sure you format your "Count of Job End" column as %

Excel 2007
ABCD
1Count of Job startCount of Job endCount of Job end2
2Leeds20010050.00%
3Glasgow9477.45%
4Bath1616.25%
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=C2/B2
D3=C3/B3
D4=C4/B4

Upvote 0
How can i get the sheet to work this out automatically using parent row% in show value drop down option?

Upvote 0
i am afraid that this cant be done (My view). % of parent row can only be used as a percentage of the row total and not as a % of some other pivot field. You can only use this the manual percentage feature in your situation i think.
Would be interesting to see if someone else can help you out with it

Upvote 0
if you notice it all these percentages can be shown by using column total or row total as a basis or one of the value in column or row but not as a percentage of value of a column for the same row.

If you really need that option and if someone is not able to come up with some way of doing this. May be you can try posting your base data and i am sure there would be an alternate way of creating a pivot table which will show % like the one you are looking for

Upvote 0
How can i get the sheet to work this out automatically using parent row% in show value drop down option?

You can insert a calculated feild; I can't remember the exact steps in XL2003 but in 2010 in on the Pivot Table Options ribbon "Feilds, Items & Steps" > "Calculated Feild"

Excel Workbook
ABCD
3Row LabelsSum of StartSum of EndSum of Field3
4Bath3964612%
5Glasgow1452735%
6Leeds5656100%
7Grand Total19041759%
Sheet4

Upvote 0
I was just trying to add the calculated field but it won't work? Keeps returning blank...

It works if I use * or - or + but when i try to use / and *100 to get % it goes blank?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The method suggested by FormR seems to be working i also tried it. This is the formual which ultimately gives the result
='Sum of End'/'Sum of Start'

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehboobahmad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back