Pasting Formula's While Recording Macros

cmcclamroch

I would like to know the easiest way to paste a formula while recording a macro -

I have tried referencing the formula from another cell and pasting it in that way and it does not work.
Also tried pasting from text file which does not work either. I've tried various methods from other threads on this site with similar issues and none of them work.

I have tried to enter the following into the macro but it is not working for me either... I get a compile syntax error.

Sub test()
Range("Cell Reference").Formula = "Formula Here"
End Sub

The formula works when I paste it into excel from notepad, but for some reason it won't work if I try to paste it into the macro - here is the formula.

=IF(K2<=DATE(2014,5,31),12,IF(K2<=DATE(2014,6,30),14,IF(K2<=DATE(2014,7,31),13,IF(K2<=DATE(2014,8,31),12, IF(K2<=DATE(2014,9,30), 11,IF(K2<=DATE(2014,10,31),10,IF(K2<=DATE(2014,11,30),9,IF(K2<=DATE(2014,12,31),8,IF(K2<=DATE(2015,1,31),7,IF(K2<=DATE(2015,2,28),6,IF(K2<=DATE(2015,3,31),5,IF(K2<=DATE(2015,4,30),4,IF(K2<=DATE(2015,5,31),3,"see notes")))))))))))))

I'm obviously doing something wrong

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
When recording the macro you should have already wrote your formula in the cell that will be populated with it when the macro runs....after starting the reecording select the cell and then copy the formula within the Formula editor toolbar then paste it back into the cell where you want the macro to insert formula the macro will generate a VBS Formula for you.

You will need to clean up the macro by removing the steps of copying the formula leaving only the select cell and paste of formula

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When recording the macro you should have already wrote your formula in the cell that will be populated with it when the macro runs....after starting the reecording select the cell and then copy the formula within the Formula editor toolbar then paste it back into the cell where you want the macro to insert formula the macro will generate a VBS Formula for you.

You will need to clean up the macro by removing the steps of copying the formula leaving only the select cell and paste of formula

Thank you. Could you please instruct me on specifics of how to "copy the formula within the Formula editor toolbar" I'm on the Formula ribbon and don't see a copy or paste option there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back