Percentage average

DrBob

I have two rows of data representing marks out of different amounts.
E.g.
A1=23, A2=14, A3=50 etc.
B1=12, B2=10, B3=32 etc.

So, the first mark is 12 out of 23, the second is 10 out of 14 and so on. I have a large number of these for at least 250 people. Is there a simple formula that will immediately work out the average percentage for all of the marks above? If so, will it still work if some marks are missing?

Andrew as a former student I know teachers love to compare how their students did versus the average. In this case the 'average' of the class will be 50% imo.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
=AVERAGE(IF(0+A1:C1,A2:C2/A1:C1))

this as an array would handle blank denominator & 0 denominator

Beauty. Can you tell me the difference between:
Code:
{=AVERAGE(IF(B1:B3<>"",B1:B3/A1:A3))}
and
Code:
{=AVERAGE(IF(0+A1:A3,B1:B3/A1:A3))}
?

They both have the same result.

Upvote 0
Good question. I tried to get my head round this one a while ago and had to make a decision. Currently have a separate section working out the percentages for each piece of work and then taking an average of that. I suppose it's OK if consistent throughout the workbook. Am now planning to slim it down using the info. from this thread. Do you know if one is more mathematically correct than the other?

Upvote 0
All of the formulas in this thread come down to the exact same result, although same have errorhandling by skipping blank cells.

They all result in the same as you would calculate all percentages first, then averaging them.

Upvote 0
I have to confess myself that I found it by *error*

I was trying

{=AVERAGE(IF(0+A1:C1>0,A2:C2/A1:C1))}

but still worked in excluding the zero denominators without the additional clause

{=AVERAGE(IF(0+A1:C1,A2:C2/A1:C1))}

I found your solution <> "" would not work if denominator was 0 only if blank so was trying to test result was both numeric and > 0

Hopefully Andrew can shed some light on it ?

(I'm more VB programmer than anything so formulae not my strong point....)

Upvote 0
Good question. I tried to get my head round this one a while ago and had to make a decision. Currently have a separate section working out the percentages for each piece of work and then taking an average of that. I suppose it's OK if consistent throughout the workbook. Am now planning to slim it down using the info. from this thread. Do you know if one is more mathematically correct than the other?

There is a difference between an average and a weighted average:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214049

Upvote 0
could extend further and do a double check both for numerator and denomiator where for former you would only want to exclude blanks (as 0 may be valid)

{=AVERAGE(IF((0+A1:C1>0)*(ISNUMBER(A2:C2)),A2:C2/A1:C1))}

Upvote 0
This works for both zero and "" in A1:C1:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:C1,A2:C2/A1:C1))

More explicitly it's:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:C1<>0,A2:C2/A1:C1,FALSE))

the AVERAGE function ignores FALSE.

Upvote 0
I might have this completely wrong, but this doesn't seem to work if you have a larger range e.g. A1:T1 instead of A1:C1? However, Stefan's formula does work (<>) but includes #DIV/0! when data is missing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back