Pictures brainstorm!

Will S

Board Regular
Hello all,

I've been working on a program that will show a different picture depending on a selection from a dropdown list, it's on a sheet that may need to be copied several times and the PC this will be used on isn't great, can anyone offer any idea for this?

Stuff I've tried already:

1. Picture Link, I had a separate sheet with all the pictures on it and a tag assigned next to them. On the actual front sheet I had the drop down list linked to the table and had a linked picture with a VLOOKUP that found the picture depending on the tag. I'm not sure if it was the type of picture that I copied in, maybe there was a way to make it smaller, but 7 pictures increased the file size by 12mb and made it slower than a snail with disabilities.

2. Stacked pictures, I'm skeptical about this idea as it means having all 7 pictures on the front sheet directly so if it's copied it will become huge and slow, but anyway... The idea is to have all pictures ontop of each other and then depending on the drop down list, all but one are invisible.

3. Import, I'm not 100% on this and haven't tried it out. But similar to the first one, is it possible to have the pictures in a file outside of the sheet and the drop down list look up file locations to import.

TL;DR? Have you needed to put in lots of images (That may or may not change) in an excel sheet that is already a strain on the processor? How did you do it? What type of picture was it? What do you think of the three ideas above?

Best regards,
Will S

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Has no one has ever put a picture into excel? Can anyone recommend any low file size way of showing pictures on excel?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back