Pivot table time date sum

stayntru

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to create a pivot table with date/time information and then have that information displayed as a total number of hours each day on the pivot table. In this example on 2/3 the pivot table would display 8 hours 48 minutes, 2/2 on the pivot table would display 8 hours 43 minutes

Event date/time
2/3/2022 15:33
2/3/2022 6:45
2/2/2022 15:39
2/2/2022 6:56

Thank you.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Your data is not arranged logically - you have the start and end timestamps for days in the same column. Why can't you have them in separate columns?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the report I receive has the column populated with the data like this. I have hundreds of rows that I am trying to create a pivot table for so that I can see this data more objectively. I understand off the data was separated into separate columns it would be much more user friendly to pivot but this is the challenge I’m faced with.

Upvote 0
Then transform your data, using an extra column to identify start and end timestamps. I'd guess Power Query is a good bet for that, before attempting anything further. Are you familiar with Power Query in Excel?

Upvote 0
Then transform your data, using an extra column to identify start and end timestamps. I'd guess Power Query is a good bet for that, before attempting anything further. Are you familiar with Power Query in Excel?
I’m not familiar with power query. Is that a feature of excel or a separate software?
Thank you for your help with this.

Upvote 0
On second thoughts, I can do it with a couple of extra columns, and a PivotTable calculation option:

Attachments

• PTCapt.jpg
    PTCapt.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0
second tab of Field Settings:

Attachments

• PTCap2.JPG
    PTCap2.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0
second tab of Field Settings:
I tried a lot to use that yesterday and couldn’t get it to work. I was trying to get the end result calculation with it though and not to separate the columns. I’ll try this new way to separate the columns then pivot the separated column data.

It seems like a lot of work that I will need to do since I have a report that has multiple tabs each with this date/time combo column with hundreds of rows of data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back