Please Help

jkornegay

I do not currently have Excel but my son is on the Ketogenic diet for Seizures and we need to purchase Excel in order for me to calculate his meals on the spreadsheet. All I can find is new versions for $300.Does anyone have any advice, the diet is so costly and I don't want to spend that much just to use a spreadsheet.

Thanks Jackie

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I don't know if this would help, but at least my university will lend you the cd so that you can save the programs onto your computer. If you know anyone in college I am sure they can get the disk for you.

Upvote 0
I've never used one, but there are a number of freeware and shareware spreadsheets available for download which I'm sure could be used in place of the full Excel package.

Try http://www.downloads.com or http://www.tucows.com or type freeware spreadsheet into a search engine.

Another option would be to try second hand software shops for an older version of Excel which you should be able to pick up quite cheaply - or how about looking on Ebay?

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Often if you buy a computer it comes loaded with Microsoft Works. There is a dumber version of a spreadsheet in it. Look for it in Start, Programs.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, I actually found the new version thats available to teachers and students for $120, you just can't use it for financial gain which is fine with me. It also has Office XP software so its a good deal.
Jackie

Upvote 0
jkornegay,

For future reference to You and other :wink:

XL is not the only spreadsheet :p :p :p

OfficeOrg offer a freeware of StarOffice 6.0 although not fully equipped like the commercial version:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Upvote 0
I researched this very closely before asking for help, obviously you don't know much about the ketogenic diet, it only calculates properly in Excel, Star office can be used but doesn't work nearly as well and costs the same as the better Excel I purchased also Excel is what the dietician uses and the only program she can offer help to me with. I'm not ignorant and don't appreciate the sarcastic advice.

Jackie

Upvote 0
Well, it was not my intention to be sarcastic to You but since it is a Excel-forum ...

it only calculates properly in Excel

? Could You explain it a little bit further?

Upvote 0
This diet has to be calculated in a ratio of fat verses protein, it works on a spreadsheet and if you don't have the proper one the figures don't add up properly. When you choose your meat and veggies it calculates the carb, calories, fats , proteins etc. and after much adjusting you come out with the right ratio and have a recipe to make a meal. Johns Hopkins has a program that runs within itself but its said not to work as well as this. We have to weigh out all my sons food, he can have no sugar and little to no starch,and 6g of Carb per meal, his body runs on fat and for some reason this gives better seizure control. Its a very difficult process. I even went on a parents list serve for children on the diet and they all use Excel or Johns Hopkins so after exhausting every possible avenue and not even eating today I found my solution and bought it. So you'll have to excuse me for being offended but I've spent alot of time researching this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back