please help

carolyn58

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I have some basic knowledge of Excel but am stuck trying to get it to do something via a macro or formula that I currently do manually.

I run a swimming club and I keep all the records in an Excel sheet (Office 2007).

When we do up a program for the kids, it has their past results in it over a particular distance. What I do is use the filter on my sheet to filter the date so I can get results only for the past 12 months, then I specify a distance. Some races are over 50m, some 75m, some 100m, etc as we use a 25m pool for the young ones. So I set a filter on the distance that will give me +50m or -50m from a specified distance (eg: greater than 50m and less than 150m). Then in the name field I use the filter again and enter the kids name. From this result, I take the last 4 rows of data and copy & paste into another worksheet that we use to print out the program.

It all works fine, but it is very time consuming and people have told me that it could be done with a macro or some sort of formula. I only have a basic knowledge of these things and have some formulas in my sheet, but nothing with multiple criteria, etc.

Can this be done? Can I specify the criteria of date, dist range and name and get it to give me the result of last 4 swims into cells on my other sheet? If so, could someone please give me an example of what this sort of formula would look like. I have tried reading an excel manual but it is over my head I'm afraid, but I have been able to use formulas in the past that have been shown to me and change them by adding the correct cell references.

Many thanks if anyone can please help.

Thank you very much, that works just great.

Is there a way that I can add another search criteria to give a date range, say last 90 days, or last 120 days......not sure what the right language would be, perhaps >1/6/2009......whatever. And would there be a way to limit the number of records it would return, as we only use the last 4?

Sorry to keep bothering you...........your help so far has been wonderful.

Carolyn

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Thank you very much, that works just great.

Is there a way that I can add another search criteria to give a date range, say last 90 days, or last 120 days......not sure what the right language would be, perhaps >1/6/2009......whatever. And would there be a way to limit the number of records it would return, as we only use the last 4?

Sorry to keep bothering you...........your help so far has been wonderful.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn:

Here we go ...

1) In regard to date range, I hope you mean within the last say 90 days from the current date ... but it will be better if you would pin that down with specificity

2) In regard to extracting only last 4 records ... technically it is easier to extract the first four records, so what I am going to suggest you do is have the records sorted by desceding order by date, so our first 4 records would indeed be the last 4 records had the data been in ascending order by date. Would this work for you? I can have the data sorted in descending order via the macro if you like.

Let me know what you think and then let us take it from there.

Upvote 0
Yes I did mean a date range of 90 days from today's date. Currently I have the data sorted in öldest to newest" order as Excel calls it as we just paste the new results on the next available rows...........I guess we could re-order the database and have it sorted by "newest to oldest" if needed. We could still paste new records on the bottom but would just have to remember to do a sort before we saved.

Upvote 0
Hi Carolyn:

In the following illustration, I have extended the criterion range to include the cells N1:N2 inaddition to the cells L1:M2 ...

<html><head><title>Excel Jeanie HTML</title></head><body>
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1NAMEFINISHLANEDIVAGEDISTPOOLDATETIMEMARGIN*NAMELANE*
2***********Boy51#NAME?
3**************
4**************
5**************
6**************
7**************
8**************
9**************
10**************
11**************
12**************
13**************
Sheet2

</body></html>

Please note that the cells N1:N2 constitute 'computed criterion' ... cell N1 must not contain any of the header names from the range A1:J1, cell N1 may also be left blank.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessbob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back