Pop-up message for certain options in a drop-down menu

highlandhouse

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way to have a pop-up message if certain options are selected from a drop-down menu. I'm using Excel 2010 to create a form for information regarding medications. I've used Data Validation to create drop-down menus of all the possible medications that the form could be used for, but certain medications require an additional form, so I want a pop-up message if any of those meds are selected to remind the user that they must also include the additional form. I work in human services, and while I'm fairly computer savvy (and quite good at following directions!), I am far from being an IT person or a programmer, so please bear with me if this requires more explaining than usual!

Thanks for your help!
Kim

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Say you had a Validation List in "G1" and the list consisted of Medications:- "Med 1", Med 2", "Med 3" etc.
Then by Selecting any of the medication shown in code, A msgbox will appear:- See code:-
To enter code
Righ Click the sheet tab, Select "View Code", VB Window appears.
Paste code below into VBWindow, Close Vb window.
To run code:- Select cell "G1" and Change the value.
If you select a value in the code the Msgbox will show.
NB:- Alter values to suit your need !!.
Code:
Private [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range)
[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Target.Address(0, 0) = "G1" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Navy"]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Case[/COLOR] Target
        [COLOR="Navy"]Case[/COLOR] "Med 1", "Med 5", "Med 8", "Med 10": MsgBox "Please Use Special form with this selection"
    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] Select
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Say you had a Validation List in "G1" and the list consisted of Medications:- "Med 1", Med 2", "Med 3" etc.
Then by Selecting any of the medication shown in code, A msgbox will appear:- See code:-
To enter code
Righ Click the sheet tab, Select "View Code", VB Window appears.
Paste code below into VBWindow, Close Vb window.
To run code:- Select cell "G1" and Change the value.
If you select a value in the code the Msgbox will show.
NB:- Alter values to suit your need !!.
Code:
Private [COLOR=Navy]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] Range)
[COLOR=Navy]If[/COLOR] Target.Address(0, 0) = "G1" [COLOR=Navy]Then[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Case[/COLOR] Target
        [COLOR=Navy]Case[/COLOR] "Med 1", "Med 5", "Med 8", "Med 10": MsgBox "Please Use Special form with this selection"
    [COLOR=Navy]End[/COLOR] Select
[COLOR=Navy]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Just to clarify... Am I pasting the code into the VB window for Sheet1 (where the drop-down menus will appear) or Sheet2 (where the lists they correspond to are)?

Thanks for your help!!
Kim

Upvote 0
I think I answered my first question... but now I'm getting an error message.

I had to put the code in a number of times (it seems like it could only manage a certain number of options, so I broke it into three groups of meds). Plus, I had to duplicate it for 6 cells because the same drop-down menu is available 6 times. Now I'm getting an error message "Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Worksheet_Change" for the first line of the code the second time it appears.

Is there another way to change it that I don't need to break it into three sections and then duplicate it 6 times for each of the drop-downs? Or do I just need to rename that line each time??

Upvote 0
You can only have one "change event" per sheet, but you can have the same code for a number of cell.
I think, as you are now aware the code goes in the sheet with the actual dropdown boxes.
The code below is available for cells ""B1,D1 & "G1:H1" change the cells to suit.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B1,D1,G1:H1")) Is Nothing Then
    Select Case Target
        Case "Med 1", "Med 5", "Med 8", "Med 10": MsgBox "Please Use Special form with this selection"
    End Select
End If
End Sub
Regrds Mick

Upvote 0
This still isn't working. Here's exactly what I put in:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change16(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A18:A23")) Is Nothing Then
Select Case Target
Case "Abilify*", "Clozaril*", "Fanapt*", "Fluphenazine*", "Geodon*", "Haldol*", "Invega*", "Loxitane*", "Mellaril*", "Moban*", "Navane*", "Orap*", "Perphenazine*", "Prolixin*", "Risperdal*", "Seroquel*", "Stelazine*", "Thioridazine*", "Thorazine*", "Zyprexa*": MsgBox "Please attach current Roger's monitor!"
End Select
End If
End Sub

I'm not getting any sort of error message, but it's not giving me a message box. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
It won't work with the "16" in the Title !!!
Also I don't understand the necessity for the "Asterisk",this ususlly denoted a WildCard Character, in this case whats in the drop down is in the code ???
Without the "16" it worked for Me !!!
Regrds Mick

Upvote 0
Ha! I don't even know where the 16 came from! It works, thanks so much!!!! I had originally put the *s in to flag meds that required the other form... now that this works, I can probably get rid of them, though!

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobsscoots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back