populate from drop list with multiple tables

price83

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi All,

i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on another sheet that relate to the selected drop... is this possible?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
it sounds like what you want to do would be something done in ms access instead. what kind of dropdown is it? active X control? an embedded combo on a user form?

Upvote 0
so i have a few rows i.e company1, company2, company3 etc they populate the drop list

when i select one of them i would like to display in the column next to it a range of text stored on another sheet for that company, so for company one there may be 3 rows of text in a table that need to be displayed when i select company 1

Upvote 0
User form can do that without the need of Access database. Build your lists in table form and call them via the table header, or table name.

Upvote 0
so i have a few rows i.e company1, company2, company3 etc they populate the drop list

when i select one of them i would like to display in the column next to it a range of text stored on another sheet for that company, so for company one there may be 3 rows of text in a table that need to be displayed when i select company 1
like I said, there are different types of dropdown objects. it sounds like yours in a dropdown that's actually IN the cell. if that's what it is, I don't think you can do what you want. dropdowns that are on userforms for instance, can get their data from statements and stuff, but not for ones directly in cells i don't think. might want to look into what Lieb said too.

Upvote 0
User form can do that without the need of Access database. Build your lists in table form and call them via the table header, or table name.

how would you advise to call them, sorry my knowledge isn't great with this

Upvote 0
Perfectly possible, probably using index/aggregate formulae, but without further information difficult to say for sure.
Can you post some sample data using the XL2BB add-in showing the table you want to pull the info from? Along with a sample of what the output should look like.

Upvote 0
this is the table with what should be showin the the following collumn when a company is selected

Book1
C
5Comment on overall experience
6Great environment & people
7Enjoy working with multipe customers across site
8Variety of work but can be frustrating
RAW_Data

Upvote 0
and for output (site header being the company)

Book1
BE
1SiteComment on overall experience
3Multiple
Data

Upvote 0
How do you know which rows to pull the data from?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back