Powerpivot keeps crashing - is 64 bit the answer?

mrclarence

Hi Excel buddies

We have a company wide problem - our PowerPivots which hold 300,000 rows or so of data (around 100mb in file size) keep crashing and will not allow us to refresh and update data. The data is from an excel file so really basic stuff.

If I watch the task manager for Excel whenI refresh a table it will go up to around 1gb of RAM though i know that 32 bit is restricted to 2gb of system RAM.

Given this problem is across a number of laptops, all on 32 bit Windows & Excel, could a 64 bit machine and PP help us? It's not like our files are that big, we have tried everything from trimming down calculated fields, only pulling through essential fields, saving as a binary file. PP has prompted me about 32 bit during refreshes, saying I need 64 bit.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Does anyone know if we will have compatbaility issues if we update/refresh a powrpivot in 64 bit but then allow a sale team to access via 32 but editions?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Did you resolve your issue?

Yes thanks, 64 bit made the difference. It’s the first rule in the power pivot rule book however my IT team wouldn’t have it so it took some convincing. Even now they don’t believe me even though my file works perfectly

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back