PowerQuery: Column of Data and Lists

Tuta

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
all -- playing with PQ a little more.

I have some web data, that has a column of cells that contain either a list or just a single piece of data.

What I want is wherever there is a list, I will always want the first item, if no list, just the data that sits in that cell of the table.

Here is the page I'm playing with. The column in question is the "Title" column in the timeline table.

thank you!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi Matt -- thanks for the time.

So, when I paste this link into Power Query, select Table 1, and click edit query -- I see in the TITLE column something similar to this:

List
List
List
List
Catalyst
List
List

Well -- whenever there is an ordered list in the cell of web table -- I only want to see that first item (which is the real title of the book)

So -- when I have a column of data comprised of both LISTS and text, how do I tell PQ to return only the first list item where a list exists or the text if no list is present....

I hope that explains it a little clearer.

Thanks!
john

Upvote 0
Hi Tuta,
Try this code below ( The last line is that what you want - if i understood correctly)
Code:
let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books#js")),
    Data1 = Source{1}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data1,{{"Year", type text}, {"", type text}, {"Title", type any}, {"Writer(s)", type text}, {"Released", type date}}),
    OnlyFirst = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Title", each if _ is list then _{0} else _ , type text}})
in
    OnlyFirst

Regards

Upvote 0
Sorry for the long delay -- such is life.

Bill -- that worked beautifully and was exactly what I wanted to do. Examine each cell's content within that column, return the first item if a list, or if not a list, whatever was there.

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back