Prevent Excel Calculating:...

Drofidnas

Board Regular
Not as easy as it sounds.

I have a large workbook with 60+ sheets.

One sheet pulls info from the others and displays a chart (updating the chart with Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)) as the data point changes.

I also have a status page which checks for errors and refreshes the result with Worksheet_Activate() every time the sheet is activated.

So there is a lot going on.

I originally had pages of formulas on every sheet and gradually have turned all of these into VBA making the whole workbook operate more quickly. I have macros which zip through every sheet copying data and moving it and all sorts of automations and these move like lightning! But whenever I use the Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) or _Activate() sheets I get Calculating: x% and it takes about 6 seconds to clear each time.

Weirdly, if I click the mouse, the calculation stops and the result is shown - so the information is there, it is just being held up by this spurious calculating which doesn't appear necessary.

Even with Calculation set to Manual I still get this. What is being calculated?

I have

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

at the start of every macro and the opposite at the end.

Is there something else I can do? Even simulating the mouse click!

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
With calculation manual, clicking into a cell will recalculate JUST that cell. Are you sure that isn't what's happening?

Upvote 0
Not as far as I know.
I have a row of 24 values pulled from a particular sheet and they are all present no matter if I click randomly or wait for the calculation to stop.

Upvote 0
I've just removed a few Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic statements from key sheets and it seems to have worked.
I don't actually need auto calc because all my calculations are happening in VBA when I import data onto my sheets, I'm just changing a view on one sheet based on the data on the others, so I think I can live without it.

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayHo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back