Problem generating web query from web address in a cell

Joryan

Our company website (intranet) has a phonebook page that you can search for other people in the company, it is missing the option to auto import into Outlook which means that you have to copy and paste name, phone numbers, email address etc. into a new contact in outlook, which is a bit time consuming.

I have been trying to make this a bit more automatic by the following:

1. open the relevant contact in the phonebook and copy the web address

2. Paste the web address into the excel file - worksheet 1

3. Run a macro which will do the following actions:

A. Using the web address carry out a web query on that contacts page and put the results in worksheet 2

B. Using the contact details in worksheet 2 copy and paste the information into worksheet 3 using with standard outlook header fields for importing contacts.

C. Delete worksheets 1 & 2 and save as a CSV file ready to be imported into Outlook in a certain folder

[In outlook then I would either manually import a contact or make a Macro to auto import from a specific file in a specific folder]

Points 1, 2, 3b and 3c I can do but I am stuck on 3a – I can’t automate the Macro to use the address pasted into the Excel file, I can get it all to work but each time I want to change the web address I need to edit the macro* – which slows down the whole process.

I am looking for help on how to get a Macro to use the text in the sheet, any help would be great I have searched everywhere but I think that the terms I am using to search with are wrong and I am turning up nothing.

John

* I am using the following web query code which I got from this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187364 (the rest is all pretty basic VBA stuff).

Sub URL_Get_Query()

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _

"URL;http://xe.com", _

Destination:=Range("a1"))

.BackgroundQuery = True

.TablesOnlyFromHTML = True

.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

.SaveData = True

End With

End Sub

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back