Laura Roberts

in8:008:00
out12:3012:15
in13:3013:15
out17:30
total8:306:3715:3715:37

<tbody>
</tbody>
function for the first total (in cell B10)=IF(ISBLANK(B6:B9),"0",IF(ISBLANK(B7:B9),NOW()-B6,IF(ISBLANK(B8:B9),B7-B6,IF(ISBLANK(B9),(NOW()-B8)+(B7-B6),(B9-B8)+(B7-B6)))))

(now()=15:37)

Why is the first section (for all blanks being true) not parsing as 0?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
The question is not clear.

By the way, if you want a zero (as number) as output, do not double quote it. Thus: 0, not "0".

Upvote 0
I tried just "" to leave it blank, putting just 0, and generally anything in there wasn't being passed no matter what it was.

The first column of times is a full day and is parsing correctly. The second is a partial day and is also parsing correctly. The empty day is returning the value for NOW() for some reason, when I want it to just be 0 so I can get a live update of hours in a total at the end (not shown). I want to know why this behavior is happening, whether I'm somehow using the isblank() function incorrectly, or if it's even something as simple as a missing comma somewhere.

Upvote 0
Hi,

ISBLANK doesn't work on arrays UNLESS you enter it as an Array formula confirmed with Control, Shift, Enter.

Book1
ABCDE
6in8:008:00
7out12:3012:15
8in13:3013:15
9out17:30
10total8:305:1000
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B10{=IF(ISBLANK(B6:B9),"0",IF(ISBLANK(B7:B9),NOW()-B6,IF(ISBLANK(B8:B9),B7-B6,IF(ISBLANK(B9),(NOW()-B8)+(B7-B6),(B9-B8)+(B7-B6)))))}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Is it an array in this case because I've used the range syntax (B6:B9) and similar? And if it's not supposed to work, why do the other sets (such as when one or two are blank) still work?

If it's a problem with being an array, would a possible solution be this:
=IF(AND(ISBLANK(B6),ISBLANK(B7),ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(B9)),0,IF(AND(ISBLANK(B7),ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(B9)),NOW()-B6,IF(AND(ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(B9)),B7-B6,IF(ISBLANK(B9),(NOW()-B8)+(B7-B6),(B9-B8)+(B7-B6)))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeisonGDC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back