Problem with Multiple Excel Instances

bigskyhp

I've developed an Excel 2003 application where the interface (both input and output) is performed exclusively through userForms. Some of my users (not all) generate input data with another Excel workbook. To ease data entry these users would like to toggle between their worksheets and my userForms to cut and paste data. However, I've encountered a sequencing problem. If the user initiates my application first (which automatically opens a userForm) and then opens their worksheet two instances of Excel are created and they can toggle between the two instances. If the activation order is reversed (the user workbook is opened first and then my form-based application is opened) the user is stuck in the opened useForm and cannot toggle to their workbook. Any hints or suggestions?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
When they toggle do they use

Alt + Tab
or
Ctrl + F6

Whichever one they use does the other work?

Upvote 0
The "Ctrl + F6" does not work.

The "Alt + Tab" pops up an icon box which shows a large Excel icon pointing to the open userForm, an Excel Spreadsheet icon pointing to my application's workbook, and a secon Excel Spreadsheed icon pointing to the user's workbook. However, the user remains locked in the userForm regardless of which icon is selected.

Upvote 0
No. The modeless approach did not work. I still get stuck in the userform in cases where an Excel Workbook is already opened before my application is initiated. I don't encounter this problem if a second instance of Excel is activated while my form is running.

Perhaps the windows application bar (the running icons shown at the bottom of the screen) provides a clue. I see the following for these different sequences:

First Case: Excel running before my application initiated.

1) Step 1 - Initiate Excel. Icon titled Book 1 appears in application bar.
2) Step 2 - Initiate my Excel Application. UserForm appears on screen. Icon titled Book 1 disappears and Icon with "My App Name" appears on the application bar.

Second Case: My application initiated and then second instance of Excel implemented.

1) Step 1 - Initiate my Excell Application. UserForm appears on screen. Icon titled "My App Name" appears on the application bar.
2) Step 2 - Initiate new Excel instance. A second icon titled "Book1" appears along with the icon "My App Name" on the application bar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back