Problems using imbeded IF within calculation

Cummins

Board Regular
The following formula works fine...
=COUNTIFS(R30:DH30,">"&(MEDIAN(R30:DH30)))

This formula works fine as long as you Ctrl+Shift+Enter
=COUNTIFS(R2:DH2,">"&MEDIAN(IF((R2:DH2>0),R2:DH2)))

The formula below doesn't error out but it reports zero (this is not true when you look at the data). How can I get the same output as the formula above + Crtl+Shift+Enter when it is embedded in another formula?
=COUNTIFS(R31:DH31,">"&(MEDIAN(IF((R31:DH31>0),R31:DH31))))

I have used this same formula format for a conditional formatting situation and it worked great...

Before you ask, please assume this will lead to something more complex and I want to go this route for the answer. If there is no good answer and you have another route, please propose it.
Thanks,
Cummins

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Andrew,
This is really odd. I also tried it again and it worked, however, I was using the formula at the end of the row (above column DH). I then realized something else, if I entered values into cells from DI to GY (same number of columns as R to DH) it affected the calculation. Why would it consider these cells if they are not included in the formula? If I insert the formula in a column prior to the array, there is no issue.
Thanks,
Cummins

Upvote 0
More issues...

=MEDIAN(IF(U2:DL2>0,U2:DL2)) Produces the value 5 which is reasonable.

=(MEDIAN(IF(U2:DL2>0,U2:DL2)+$DN$1*STDEV(IF(U2:DL2>0,U2:DL2)))) Produces the value 3.0211 which is not reasonable. $DN$1 = 1 in this case. I am certain that a stdev can't be negative. What is going on here?

Upvote 0
Thank you sir may I have another. I am not sure what to do about the other issue, but, as long as I don't use the cells to the right of the array..I don't really care

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back