Protect Author name in Excel 2007

HKT

I am using Excel 2007 and would like to protect the Author's name,so that nobody can change that. I had seen few advices in another thread on this forum but that didn't help me. My worksheet is protected already,now i want to make the Author's name also 'read only'.
Please help me.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hello, and welcome to the board!

By 'authors name' do you mean the file attribute? Make the file read-only. Or is this in a cell value?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
Infact first of all,i want to tell that i m not good in tech at all.

Yes,cells,rows etc are already read-only but only Author's name in 'Properties' is not. I have seen somewhere in this forum that setting up a password by going to the encryption, can solve this problem. But when i tried it,it asks the password to open the worksheet. But once we put the password open it,then author name can easily be changed. So i would like to make properties also read-only.
Hope,i could explain in an understandable way.

Upvote 0
If the file is read-only, the author cannot be changed. Right click the file, select Properties; from here it may change depending on your operating system, but just look for the read-only checkbox.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. but if we make a change in properties and trying to save it,then it shows that file is read-only.However,there is an option of saving it's copy with a different name and then make changes in properties etc. is it right?

Upvote 0
Not sure I follow you. If somebody wanted to actually copy the file just to change the author, then sure. There is no amount of protection in this world that cannot be beaten/hacked. You're probably better off restricting access to the file, than restricting the file itself.

Upvote 0
Well. so i want to ask one thing.
Should i encrypt the sheet with a password and then make it read-only by right clicking and checking the option of 'read only', as u advised? This way,whenever i need to give the file to someone,i will tell the password,so he'll be able to use the file but would not be able to change the properties unless saving as a copy.
Any better solution? if not,then i will go with it.

Upvote 0
Personally I recommend not using any passwords for 'security' purposes. The only thing I use passwords for are to protect sheets with the single (usually) purpose of not letting users select locked cells, thus not letting them screw up any formulas or data structure I have. Excel should NOT be thought of as a secure environment. I suggest you do not give the file out to people you do not trust, secure the residing location of the file, don't give the file out, or any combination thereof.

Upvote 0
OK,then i'll not set any password. And make read-only as per ur instructions. Now only question is if there is some another known trick to protect the properties in a better way?

Upvote 0
I would like to know if there is any answer of my last post. If the answer is 'No' then i would go to the previously advised solution because i have to finalize my sheet soon.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back