Pulling numbers from a multiple alphanumeric string in a single cell.

waruta

I've been looking and looking, but I can't get any of the Google search formulas to work on my alphanumeric string. I just completed a survey and the first 2 questions were multiple choice from 40 options. Users were asked to pick 10 options for each of the questions.

I'm now left with a single answer cell that contains anywhere from 5 - 10 alphanumeric answers in it, and I would like to separate those answers without the text into single columns. The picture below may help explain a little more:

question.jpg

I would need to sort the above answers into the columns below (the order, ascending or descending doesn't matter)

answer.jpg

I only need the numerals in the columns, the text is not important. I would preferably like to use a formula instead of VB or a Macro since this data will all be tied into other sheets and charts and whatnot.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

Wouter

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Try this array formula ( arrary formula Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter)
in cell E3
Code:
=MID(C3,MATCH(1,IF(CODE(MID(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(C3))),1))<=57,1),0),SUM(0+ISNUMBER(0+MID(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(C3))),1))))

Upvote 0
Try this array formula ( arrary formula Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter)
in cell E3
Code:
=MID(C3,MATCH(1,IF(CODE(MID(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(C3))),1))<=57,1),0),SUM(0+ISNUMBER(0+MID(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(C3))),1))))

Thanks for the code, but this didn't help, it just gave a 0 when there is definitely a 1 in the first cell. It may help to know that the answers are all on sheet 1 while this code will all be on sheet 2...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back