Puzzled by a VLOOKUP formula

Steviefiege

Board Regular
Hi,

I have this formula: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($B3,'Main Squad'!$A:$AM,MATCH(INDEX(Sheet1!C:C,ROW()),'Main Squad'!$A$17:$AM$17,0),0),"") which works absolutely perfectly.

I then created a new page & using the same formula but tweaked a bit changed it to this:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($B19,Scouting!$A:$AL,MATCH(INDEX(Sheet4!C:C,ROW()),Scouting!$A$17:$AM$17,0),0),"")

I set Sheet4 up exactly the same as Sheet1 but it doesn't work. Sheet 4 is working with the formula's but for some reason it's not having it. Any ideas?

Rgs
Steve

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Its a weird set up you have there. So you have a series of 'headers' in column C of sheet 4 that are transposed in row 17 of scouting?

Upvote 0
Yeah, exactly that. The first formula for sheet1 works perfectly for my main squad. But i wanted to do the same again for the players i've scouted so i set it all up again, exact same as the first formula but obviously changed the worksheet names that there on & the corresponding cells. Sheet4 works exactly the same as sheet1 but looks off my scouting page not my main squad page but for some reason the results are just blank (thats because of the IFERROR i know that). If the IFERROR wasnt in it just comes up #N/A.

Upvote 0
If it works in one sheet it will work in all. Can we try pinpoint the error. In the formula that produces the error go to the formula bar and click in the MATCH (say between the A and the T. Press the fx button. On the resultant dialog box do you see a number being produced or the result blank or an error?

Upvote 0
Here's what it said:

Lookup_value: INDEX(Sheet4!C:C,ROW()) = ""
Lookup_array: Scouting!$A$17:$AL$17 = {"Player Name","Total Rating","Cor","....
Match_type: 0 = 0

Then at the bottom it says Formula result =

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok what row is this formula in because essentially that tells me there is nothing in the Sheet4 column C at that row number so you have no lookup value.

Upvote 0
Which row is the formula in?

INDEX(Sheet4!C:C,ROW())

This will produce a different value dependant on which row its placed in.

Upvote 0
I've sorted it!!!!! The formula was in the wrong row compared to the other one. Thank you soo much for your help, your last reply triggered it off.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back