Quartile or Percentile Function of range containing #N/A

wackerpf

Board Regular
In need of a solution here...

I have several sheets in a workbook containing different sets of data. I then have one master sheet which references specific cells from all of these data sheets so only the info I need is displayed in an organized manner on one sheet.

The first problem I ran into was that when I referenced the cells from other sheets, if the cell is blank, the reference would display a 0, instead of blank. So to fix this I did an IF statement, where if the cell was "" then it would display "". This fixed the problem until I started charting the condensed data on the one master sheet (which references the other sheets using the IF statement). When I plotted this data, the empty strings "" would be plotted as a value of 0, instead of being left off the plot. There are option to plot "gaps" as zero, or as nothing, and I told it to plot it as nothing... only problem is that it doesn't see it as a gap, it sees it as "" which then plots as 0.. making my line graphs fall to zero, when it is far more accurate in my case to have these data points not displayed.

So I changed the IF statements to place #N/A in the cells instead of "", which fixed the problem for the charts.

NOW I am trying to take averages and perform statistics functions on this set of data and I am having some issues, as taking the average of a range containing #N/A cells will simply yield #N/A. I was able to use DAverage(), DMin(), DMax() and DStDev() with a criteria of <>#N/A to fix the problem, but I am also in need of quartile or percentile data. Unfortunately there is no DQuartile function (that I am aware of).

If there any kind of DQuartie or QuartileIF statement that I am unaware of?? Any suggestions on how I could do this? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Try...

=QUARTILE(IF(ISNUMBER(Range),Range),Quart)

and

=PERCENTILE(IF(ISNUMBER(Range),Range),K)

Note that both these formulas need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Upvote 0
Whoa... worked great.

Follow up question now... in the lifetime I've been working with Excel I have never used Ctrl+Shift+Enter to confirm a cell... can you explain what that is doing??

Thanks a ton for the tip.

Upvote 0
It signifies to Excel that we're dealing with an array formula. For information on array formulas, have a look at Excel's help file under 'array formula'.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back