Question on formatting tect in an Excel cell

iluvizzy

I am writing the Help for my product and it is entered & formatted into Excel, then imported into my product. The problem is, I am manually formatting the text in each cell. I have to manually insert bullet points, spaces, indents, do the alt+enter to insert a line, etc. Then when I think I have everything correctly formatted, I import into my product and see how it displays. If anything is amiss, I must go back to the Excel file and fix it. This happens almost every time!! Question: is there a way you can fomat text in cells so the formatting settings are hard coded? (instead of this painstaking trial-and-error method!) Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Re: Question on formatting text in an Excel cell

What do you mean by "text boxes" in Excel? Mark them as text? The problem is, I can format the text all I want, but when I import the spreadsheet into QlikView, the formatting is lost.

Upvote 0
If you are using Excel 2007, go to the Insert tab and you have Text Box option there. If 2003, it should be on the Drawing toolbar on the bottom left corner of your Excel screen (if you don't see that go to View >> Toolbars and select Drawing)

This will float a Textbox that is independant of the cells. But again like I said, this work only if your other program (QlikView?) has the ability to import "objects" from Excel.

I would consider the formatting option directly in QlikView rather than Excel because the issue is not how Excel formats it but how QlikView imports it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back