Random select 10% for each name and Highlight it.

BunniLove

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to generate how many cases each person is doing that day. I have that listed next to the person's name. From there I need to highlight randomly 10% of case that person does. So, for instance, if a person did 17 cases, 10% would be 2. It would go and highlight 2 random cases that person did. Can someone help? I put some screenshots.

Attachments

• Name table.png
    Name table.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 12
  • table AB.png
    table AB.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I am trying to generate how many cases each person is doing that day. I have that listed next to the person's name. From there I need to highlight randomly 10% of case that person does. So, for instance, if a person did 17 cases, 10% would be 2. It would go and highlight 2 random cases that person did. Can someone help? I put some screenshots.
try this:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    RandomHighlight Selection
End Sub

Sub RandomHighlight(ByVal rng As Range)
    Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer
    i = WorksheetFunction.CountA(rng)
    If i = 0 Then Exit Sub
    rng.Interior.Pattern = xlNone
    For j = 1 To Int(i / 10) + 1
        k = Int(i * Rnd + 1)
        rng.Cells(k).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 0)
    Next j
End Sub

Upvote 1
I pasted that in VBA, but nothing happen. Can you explain what all I need to change or do?

Upvote 0
I think I need to clarified. I have a list of employee and next to their name is the number of time the name display, look at the screenshot LIST. From there I want to highlight 10% of each employee cases but randomly. So for instance, Amanda Pegago did 17 so 10% will be 2. I need to highlight her name on the screenshot case randomly 2 of her name there.

Attachments

• Case.png
    Case.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 2
  • LIST.png
    LIST.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
I think I need to clarified. I have a list of employee and next to their name is the number of time the name display, look at the screenshot LIST. From there I want to highlight 10% of each employee cases but randomly. So for instance, Amanda Pegago did 17 so 10% will be 2. I need to highlight her name on the screenshot case randomly 2 of her name there.
you need cleared it first, with this code you need select to cell that has name of person you need to highlight then run sub "Highlight10pctCell". in your examples, you need select the cell that has value is "Amanda Pegago" in "Case" then run "Highlight10pctCell":
VBA Code:
Sub Highlight10pctCell()
    Dim DataRange As Range
    Dim WhoToFind As Range
    Set WhoToFind = Selection.Cells(1) 'set person you need to highlight to first cell of selection range, you need to select persion that you want to highlight and run this sub
    Set DataRange = Range(Cells(1, WhoToFind.Column), Cells(Rows.Count, WhoToFind.Column).End(xlUp)) 'set highlight range to columns that has cell you selected, you can also change to whatever range you want
    RandomHighlight criteria:=WhoToFind, rng:=DataRange
End Sub

Private Sub RandomHighlight(ByVal criteria As Variant, ByVal rng As Range)
    Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer, t As Integer
    Dim cll As Range
    Dim icoll As New Collection
    i = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(rng, criteria)
    If i = 0 Then Exit Sub
    rng.Interior.Pattern = xlNone
    For Each cll In rng
        If Not IsEmpty(cll) And Not IsError(cll) Then
            If UCase(Trim(cll.Value)) = UCase(Trim(criteria)) Then
                icoll.Add cll
                t = t + 1
                If t = i Then Exit For
            End If
        End If
    Next cll
        k = Int(i * Rnd + 1)
        icoll(k).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 0)
    Next j
End Sub

Upvote 1
Solution
This work only for anything that is above 10 cases. So, if a person does least then 10, I still want to highlight at least 1 case. In the code I try to change it....this is what I put. But it will say can't execute code in break mode.
For Each cll In rng
icoll.Add cll
t = t + 1
If t = i Then
icoll(k).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 0) Then Exit For
End If
End If
Next cll
k = Int(i * Rnd + 1)
Next j
End Sub

Upvote 0
This work only for anything that is above 10 cases. So, if a person does least then 10, I still want to highlight at least 1 case. In the code I try to change it....this is what I put. But it will say can't execute code in break mode.
For Each cll In rng
icoll.Add cll
t = t + 1
If t = i Then
icoll(k).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 0) Then Exit For
End If
End If
Next cll
k = Int(i * Rnd + 1)
Next j
End Sub
I work for me, that int(i/10)+1 always greater or equal with 1, so when you select 1 cell, it will has at leats 1 highlight cell

Upvote 1
I work for me, that int(i/10)+1 always greater or equal with 1, so when you select 1 cell, it will has at leats 1 highlight cell

Attachments

• 1713366011826.png
    1713366011826.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 1
I believe it's because I need to clear it every time I run it. So, I should just put j.ClearContent before Next J?

Upvote 0
I believe it's because I need to clear it every time I run it. So, I should just put j.ClearContent before Next J?
No, with my code, you just need select a cell in your case picture that contains a name then run highlight10pctcell then it will auto detect all same name cells and highlight it

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back