Randomly Distribution of items across a range with vba

kelly mort

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this table of the range

B2:J6

And I am looking for a way to randomly distribute the letters A-I across.

These are the rules:
1. A row can take just A or A and A . If 2 As, then they should be immediately adjacent each other. Example B2C2.

2. The first four letters can appear more than the last five.

3. Columns E and H are excluded.

I hope this is achievable.

Thanks in advance

Your requirement clearly says column B.
Did you validate column B?
The macro works?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Yes it worked for column B greatly.

I even tried to test the order columns and very fine but I can't seem to know the right loop to use to capture all at a go.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear.
The macro works only for column B, because that's what you asked for. Obviously the macro does not work for the other columns.

Upvote 0
Yes but I change

C.column = 2 , to 3, 4 etc and change the "B" as well to test.

So now I want to verify all the columns at a go.

Upvote 0
Ok. You modified the macro. It works for you?

I couldn't get the loop to work for me.

But if I want to verify for say column C and I change that

If c.column = 2 Then
To 3, and update the range as well it verifies column C.

I want to verify all the columns at a go.

And I want you to fix that for me.

Upvote 0
I couldn't get the loop to work for me.

But if I want to verify for say column C and I change that

If c.column = 2 Then
To 3, and update the range as well it verifies column C.

I want to verify all the columns at a go.

And I want you to fix that for me.

Your example looks very nice, but in reality, with the random numbers and your rules we can find a flaw.

For example:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:24.71px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /><col style="width:24.71px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /><col style="width:24.71px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /><col style="width:57.98px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >I</td><td >J</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">2</td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">4</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">3</td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">4</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">4</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">3</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">3</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">3</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >11</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">3</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >12</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">4</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >13</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">7</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td><td style="background-color:#ccc0da; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >14</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">3</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >15</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">5</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">6</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:23px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >16</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">0</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">8</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">4</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; text-align:center; ">3</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr></table>

In cell J4 the only allowed values ​​according to the row are 0,1,2,3 because the rule says that the first 4 numbers must be repeated more than the last numbers:

Okay I am going for the row.
So let's do the row.
For A, B, C and D.
That's first four items in the array.

In that same row 4 the numbers 7,7,5 were written, so in the next 4 positions of the row I can only put 0,1,2,3 (in your example A, B, C, D).

I can not put 0, because 2 zeros already exist in row 4.
I can not put 1, because there is already a 1 in row 4.
I can not put 2, because there is already a 2 in the same column.
I can not put 3, because there is already a 3 in the same column.

Your rules have an ambiguity.
The macro does a review of 50 attempts, if it can not put the number then it stops.

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Randomly()
    Dim r As Range, c As Range
    Dim ale As Long, cnt As Long, n As Long, counter As Long, countB As Long
    Dim things As Variant, letter As String, exists As Boolean
    Dim rws As Variant, j As Long, rep As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

things = Array("Apple", "Orange", "Mango", "Lime", "Lemon", "Banana", "Melon", "Pine", "Pear")

rws = Array(2, 5, 8, 11, 14)
    Set r = Range("B2:D16,F2:G16,I2:J16")
    r.ClearContents
    For Each c In r
        exists = True
        n = UBound(things)
        Do While exists
            ale = WorksheetFunction.RandBetween(0, n)
            exists = False
            cnt = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(c.Row, "B"), Cells(c.Row, "J")), ale)
            If (cnt = 1 And c.Offset(, -1).Value <> ale) Or cnt = 2 Then exists = True

counter = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(c.Row, "B"), Cells(c.Row, "J")), ">" & 3)
            If counter > 2 And ale > 3 Then
                exists = True
                n = 3
            End If
            For j = 0 To UBound(rws)
                If c.Row >= rws(j) And c.Row <= rws(j) + 2 Then
                    countB = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(rws(j), c.Column), Cells(rws(j) + 2, c.Column)), ale)
                    If countB > 0 Then
                        exists = True
                    End If
                    Exit For
                End If
            Next
            rep = rep + 1
            If rep = 50 Then
                MsgBox "The bucle encountered a failure", vbCritical
                Exit Sub
            End If
        Loop
        c.Value = ale
        rep = 0
    Next
    For n = 0 To UBound(things)
        r.Replace n, things(n)
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Okay.

So without the rule of placing first four items more, can that flaw be eliminated? .

If yes then let us avoid that rule.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back