range.find wont find single "," comma occurance

romanemul

Hi community

my sub wont find single occurence of "," only when i type additional comma it started to work.
So only cells with 2 and more occurances of the comma character are processed correctly.

Code:
Sub proc()

Dim inp As Range
Dim outp As Range

Cells(1, 7).Activate
Set inp = ActiveCell.Find(What:=",")

End Sub

inp always returns Nothing

any help would be appreciated

The lookin parameter worked :)

Thank you

Correct code

Code:
[COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Sub[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] h()[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Dim[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] inp [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]As[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] Range[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Dim[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] outp [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]As[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] Range[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I]Cells(1, 7).Activate[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Set[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] inp = ActiveCell.Find(What:=",", [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier]LookIn:=xlValues[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I])[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I]MsgBox "Found it = " & [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Not[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] inp [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Is[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Nothing[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]End[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier][I] [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#00007F][FONT=Courier][I]Sub[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

I was assuming a comma insterted as an actual string value. If the comma is there because of cell formatting, for instance, the cell displays 1,234 but the formula bar shows 1234, then you'll need to specify the LookIn parameter.

**Set inp = ActiveCell.Find(What:=",", LookIn:=xlValues)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
its a cell whose purpose is to detect if the number has comma in it. so i throw in there random numbers

Just to be clear the VBA .Find method in the OP will find a cell that has a comma it will not FIND (like the worksheet function) the location of a comma within a cell.

Is the comma a thousand's delimiter imposed by number formatting?
If so, .Find will not find it.

.Find can look in the .Value, the .Formula or the .Comment properties of cells. But the comma is in none of those (it is in the .Text of the cell)

Upvote 0
I am glad we were able to help. Just to explain, .Find is easier to think of as looking for a string value, regardless of whether it is searching for a string (text), date or number; and it is going to be looking in either the formula bar or in the cell - in either case, as displayed...

Upvote 0
i want just to ask a quick question.

When using method find to find for example letter of alphabet "A" The system doesnt need to know the LookIn parameter to determine whenever its a formula or value.
So why its required when entering a comma ? Does need to be that value evaluated somehow ?

Upvote 0
Thank you

Just to be clear the VBA .Find method in the OP will find a cell that has a comma it will not FIND (like the worksheet function) the location of a comma within a cell.

.Find can look in the .Value, the .Formula or the .Comment properties of cells. But the comma is in none of those (it is in the .Text of the cell)

Upvote 0

Hi Mike,

I agree that in the case that the cell is formatted for Number and Thousands Separator is ticked, then the comma really "exists" in .Text. I would hold that xlValues actually tests against .Text though. At least for me, the code at #11 works (for a partial match of course). Do your results differ?

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back