Rank by date and alphabetically

catherine_m

Hello, I am trying to get a list of employees ranked by longest tenure, and would like to use lastnames as a "tiebreaker" for those who started on the same day. I would also like unique rank numbers, no skipping or no having multiple number 4s etc.

I can sort it in this way and just rank them 1-1000 manually but I would like to have a formula to keep live so that when people leave, or come back from an absence I won't have to re-sort and re-rank manually. Is there a formula for this?

Start date in column A and Last name in column B?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Just use the Excel sort function. It's a few mouse clicks and keystrokes, if that. Do a custom sort with one column taking precedence before the other. For the ranking order numbers you can do a custom fill and if you have a thousand people it will do the work for you very quickly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I've already done the sorting myself and provided a rank based on that. I need this to be live though, because people come and go on a semi-regular basis and sometimes come back from an absence (but get credit back for time in). So what I have now is a snapshot of what things look like today, but that could change tomorrow.

I'd like to be able to just add a new row with the new information and have it fit into the rank automatically--and everything be re-ranked. I can do this just using a straight "=RANK" formula but I (1) need to not have duplicate rank numbers and (2) have alphabetical order by last name break ties.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back