Ranking and creating a graph from it.

DaniDo

Hello everyone,

I had tried to post this before but I thought my answer might be found elsewhere. I think a lot of the answers are specific to each person's data set, however, so this is my question:

I am trying to rank values for States in order. I need a top 9 and then the 10th ranking is every other state combined. Some states have the same value.

Does anyone know how I can rank them in a top 9 and then somehow get the pie chart to pull from that?

I've tried ranking the top nine but I need it to rank in alphabetical order when it comes across states with the same value. I've tried conditional formatting to show me the top 9 values but, again, it gives me more than 9 because of the states with the same values and then I don't know how to tell the pie chart to find the cells with the conditional formatting.

Can anyone help me with this? I will post an example if you need it.

Thanks,
Danielle

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hi Danielle,

extract the values you want into another area, and chart that. Here's an example of formulas to do that. Note that for the ranking of 10 the formulas are different, as per your requirements:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1State ( in alphabetical order )ValueUnique rankTop 9 area
2Alabama8916RankStateValue
3Alaska13811Alaska138
4Arizona68292Arkansas138
5Arkansas13823Connecticut122
6California55404Minnesota121
7Colorado68305South Dakota117
8Connecticut12236Delaware112
9Delaware11267Pennsylvania110
10Florida62368Nevada109
11Georgia72279Wisconsin108
12Hawaii643410( other )2748
13Idaho6435
14Illinois3647
15Indiana6037
16Iowa7622
17Kansas7623
Sheet33

Upvote 0
Glenn,

Wow- you're a genius! I'm not sure I can wrap my head around why those formulas work but they certainly do! I appreciate you taking all that extra time to show me an example. This forum is a fantastic place- I only wish I could help you with something in return. :)

Thanks again!

-Danielle

Upvote 0
Glenn,

Wow- you're a genius! I'm not sure I can wrap my head around why those formulas work but they certainly do! I appreciate you taking all that extra time to show me an example. This forum is a fantastic place- I only wish I could help you with something in return. :)

Thanks again!

-Danielle

Hi Danielle, thanks for the lovely feedback, I'm glad you like the example. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back