Ranking based on 3 criteria

Jillybean9621

Hi everyone. I've searched through the forums and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for just yet so I thought I'd ask.

How could I rank projects based on items, age, city (city is given a number) for example
A B C
5 73 Portland 13
2 107 Salem 33
2 153 tillimock 4

The lower the number on the city column they should have a higher importance. The higher age and higher item counts have the higher importance as well.

Does this make sense?
In this example tillimock woukd be #1 , Portland 2.

There would be a potential of 200 records that would need to be ranked.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi everyone. I've searched through the forums and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for just yet so I thought I'd ask.

How could I rank projects based on items, age, city (city is given a number) for example
A B C
5 73 Portland 13
2 107 Salem 33
2 153 tillimock 4

The lower the number on the city column they should have a higher importance. The higher age and higher item counts have the higher importance as well.

Does this make sense?
In this example tillimock woukd be #1 , Portland 2.

There would be a potential of 200 records that would need to be ranked.
Are you asking for a sort regime? Like, Highlight columns A B C and D and then select the Sort Tab?
There you will find the columns to add according to your criteria, and whether ascending of descending in value.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. No big exactly.

I've been able to do this using a ranking formula for the first two criteria by creating a data column first. So =a1*1000+b1 and then I rank that column. I'm now trying to figure out how to add the third column into the rank.

Upvote 0
On that basis Portland would score 5073, Salem 2107 and Tillimock 2153 which would make the order Salem, Tillimock and Portland.

You state that the city value has higher importance but then the rest of that sentence apparently now is suggesting a conflict.

In what order should things be ranked? Which is first, second and then third?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Can you also confirm whether the City and its ranking number are together in the same cell (eg "Portland 13" Is that in a single cell or "Portland" in one cell and "13" in the next column, or something else altogether?)

If city & ranking number are in the same cell, are all the ranking numbers 1 or 2 digits, or could they be longer? If longer, how long?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Can you also confirm whether the City and its ranking number are together in the same cell (eg "Portland 13" Is that in a single cell or "Portland" in one cell and "13" in the next column, or something else altogether?)

If city & ranking number are in the same cell, are all the ranking numbers 1 or 2 digits, or could they be longer? If longer, how long?

They are in separate cells.

Upvote 0
On that basis Portland would score 5073, Salem 2107 and Tillimock 2153 which would make the order Salem, Tillimock and Portland.

You state that the city value has higher importance but then the rest of that sentence apparently now is suggesting a conflict.

In what order should things be ranked? Which is first, second and then third?
Tillamook would be the most important so if should be ranked the highest. Then Portland then Salem. But somehow I need to incorporate #of items and number of days.

Upvote 0
I suppose that columns A and B should be used only as tiebreakers. If so, what is the priority?

M.

Upvote 0
They are in separate cells.
I've been able to do this using a ranking formula for the first two criteria by creating a data column first. So =a1*1000+b1 and then I rank that column. I'm now trying to figure out how to add the third column into the rank.
So, could you just extend your original idea like this?

Book1
ABCDEF
1ItemAgeCityCity RankHelperRank
2573Portland13870050734
312153tillimock4960121531
42107Salem33670021076
52253tillimock4960022532
62090Portland13870200903
7474Portland13870040745
Rank
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2=(100-D2)*10^6+A2*1000+B2
F2=RANK(E2,E$2:E$7)

Upvote 0
Another possible solution - using data sample above provided by Peter_SSs

A
B
C
D
E
Item​
Age​
City​
City Rank​
Rank​
5​
73​
Portland​
13​
4​
12​
153​
tillimock​
4​
1​
2​
107​
Salem​
33​
6​
2​
253​
tillimock​
4​
2​
20​
90​
Portland​
13​
3​
4​
74​
Portland​
13​
5​

Formula in E2 copied down
=COUNTIF(D:D,"<"&D2)+COUNTIFS(D:D,D2,A:A,">"&A2)+COUNTIFS(D:D,D2,A:A,A2,B:B,">"&B2)+1

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HBryant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back