Ranking Unique Pairs with Duplicate Data

navigator01

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but I look forward to contributing to other peoples questions in the future!

I currently have a question involving a scenario where I want to rank pairs of data while ignoring any duplicates in the data. What I am working with is located below. Column A is one item, column B is another item. Together, each row makes up one pair, IE: in row 1 RJET and XPO are one pair. Column C represents a score I have formulated for each pair and they are ranked according to this score.

However, the data in both column A and B is mutually exclusive, IE: Because RJET and XPO is the first pair, XPO can not be in any other pair that has a lower score (column C). What I would like to accomplish is a way to rank the pairs based on column C, but to do so in a way that each item is only used once. For example, in the data below the pairs should be ranked: 1) RJET & XPO, 2) SKYW & EAC etc... so that the pairs in between the two "unique" pairs that use a value that has already been used are ignored.

ABC
1RJETXPO2.833939
2FSSXPO2.805035
3VSECXPO2.785968
4ASGNXPO2.765441
5SKYWEAC2.763877
6RJETEAC2.641551
7ABMXPO2.617283
8SKYWXPO2.610225
9FCXPO2.599589
10FIXXPO2.587622
11UFPIXPO2.444511
12PRSCXPO2.423591
13LABLXPO2.40627
14KAIXPO2.393814
15CRRCXPO2.390866

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you in advance for any help I might receive - I am really stuck on this one!

Dave & Eric - I apologize for the late reply, I have been out of town until today. Thank you both so much for your help!

Eric - Dave said there are some very clever formula guys on this forum, he is definitely right! Your set up works perfect! Very very clever stuff, thank you so much!!

Dave, the new macro seems to be working, the previous issue seems to be resolved! However, the macro is only generating around 15 pairs, I think there should be around 130! I really appreciate your work on this, what you are doing is way above my head!

Again, thanks so much guys. I am blown away how generous you have both been with your time - your help is invaluable! Thank you!!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Thanks for posting your outcome. I'm not certain why all the pairs weren't identified with the code... must be some logic problem. Anyways, I'm glad that U have a solution that works. Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back