Re-sizing the 'check-circle' inside a Radio Button

palaeontology

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I find the 'check-circle' of a radio button just way too small for my users to see.

I prefer to use Active-X Option Buttons to the Form Option Button, but am happy to convert if you say I need to, but both seem to be just as small as eachother.

Is there a way to increase the size of the circle (in a radio button).

I'd prefer to avoid using vba if at all possible, but will if that's the only way.

Kind regards,

Chris

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
You could use a label control with large (24 pt?) Wingdings font and toggle the character on click:

Code:
Private Sub Label1_Click()
  With Label1
    If .Caption = Chr(164) Then .Caption = Chr(161) Else .Caption = Chr(164)
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
SHG, that was a completely brilliant solve, and absolutely out of left field ... thankyou.

Is there a way to have 6 of these Labels, each with that character toggle that you've demonstrated, but each also with some Arial font text ...

for example,

* Label1 might have the text ... Semester 1 ... plus the character toggle
* Label2 might have the text ... Semester 2 ... plus the character toggle
* Label3 might have the text ... Moderation ... plus the character toggle
* Label4 might have the text ... Semester 3 ... plus the character toggle
* Label5 might have the text ... Verification ... plus the character toggle
* Label6 might have the text ... Exit ... plus the character toggle

Also, is it possible to code for each of them, if clicked, to send their particular text to cell BF9 ..

for example, if clicked, Label1 would send the text .... Semester 1 .. to BF9, label 2 would send ... Semester 2, etc etc etc

Also, is it possible to code this ... if a Label is clicked, it's character circle becomes the circle with the dot inside, while the previously clicked Label would have it's character circle change back from having the dot inside, to being just the circle with no dot on the inside ... in other words, I'd like it to behave a little like an ActiveX Option Button would.

I suspect this is far too much to code, and if so, I apologise, but I'm trying to circumvent the issue Excel has with resizing Controls.

Very kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0
A label control (like all other controls, other than a rich-text control, which I believe are now deprecated) has a single font -- no character-level formatting. Other than that, you can write code to model whatever behavior you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi shg,

Nice workaround ... I tried changing the font to Wingdings programmatically but it didn't give me the circle character. Do you happen to know why ?

Code:
Label1.Font.Name = "Wingdings"
Label1.Font.Size = 24
Label1.Caption = Chr(161)

Thank you.

Upvote 0
That's very curious, Jaafar. In a five-minute test ...

Running that code on a label on a worksheet showed the font as changed to Wingdings in Properties, but not in the caption. Changing it manually worked. OK fine, another bug in ActiveX controls on a sheet.

Running that code on a label on a userform didn't even change the font in Properties -- that's weird. Like maybe some properties are designated as design-time only. That makes no sense.

Maybe someone smarter will stop by.

Upvote 0
That's very curious, Jaafar. In a five-minute test ...

Running that code on a label on a worksheet showed the font as changed to Wingdings in Properties, but not in the caption. Changing it manually worked. OK fine, another bug in ActiveX controls on a sheet.

Running that code on a label on a userform didn't even change the font in Properties -- that's weird. Like maybe some properties are designated as design-time only. That makes no sense.

Maybe someone smarter will stop by.

Turns out you need to change the character set from 0 to 2 ([FONT=&quot]SYMBOL_CHARSET) which kind of makes sense
Check Andy Pope answer here : [/FONT]
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/70273-font-labels-added-fly-post336751.html#post336751[FONT=&quot]

Character sets MS documentation: [/FONT]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc194829.aspx[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back