Recommended VBA Classes or books

Ennovi

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a little research but haven't really seen anything on this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was recently given the task to learn VBA, I'm fairly confident in Excel but VBA is new to me. My question to you is are there any books aside from the Mr. Excel and John Walkenbach ones that you would recommend (I found those being suggested here a lot). Also if there are any classes anyone's ever taken and found beneficial please let me know. I'm in Chicago if that helps.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hello Ivonne and welcome :)

This question must have been asked a thousand times but if you are new to programming and if $25 won't break the bank then http://www.add-ins.com/vbhelp.htm

Having done that, hang about here - you can learn loads just by following the posts.

Upvote 0
Hi Ivonne

Not a book and it is by Bill Jelen (well, co-authored):

2500 VBA Samples

Part of the problem with learning from a book is 1) getting the information to truly sink in and 2) applying what you learn to a real world example. The above helps with this because you can read what the code does and then copy and paste the code into one of your workbooks and try running it there and then. Stepping thru it in the VBE so you see exactly what it is doing line by line will help tremendously.

Ultimately, the best way I have found to learn is to identify a need you have (eg at work you need to automate some process) and work on solving that need thru VBA. The 2500 code examples can give you an idea and you can flesh out the exact implementation with the help of the Board and your own reserach eg books, as you have mentioned.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelevnt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back