Removal of Duplicates when re running the report

braidp

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help -

The below is something I have built out to grab data from about 90 workbooks. The challenge I have is I need to run this each week as the data updates however this duplicates the data and I would like it to avoid this so that it only reports on the latest data pull from the 90 workbooks

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Regards

Sub LoopThroughDirectory()
Dim Filepath As String
Dim erow
Filepath = "C:\Users\paulb\Desktop\EmployeeProject"
MyFile = Dir(Filepath)
Do While Len(MyFile) > 0
If MyFile = "ZMasterFile.xlsm" Then
Exit Sub
End If
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Workbooks.Open (Filepath & MyFile)
Range("A2:M900").Copy
ActiveWorkbook.Close

erow = Sheet1.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row
ActiveSheet.Paste Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(erow, 1), Cells(erow, 13))
MyFile = Dir
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Loop

End Sub

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi there. Why not empty all the rows in your master file each time you run the grab, then you wouldnt have any duplicates. This would take account of any insertions or deletions in previously captured data. Alternatively, assuming the users dont delete or insert rows in the middle of stuff you grabbed before, you could have a sheet with a record of each workbook's previous last row, and then modify your copy range to suit.

Upvote 0
Hi there. Why not empty all the rows in your master file each time you run the grab, then you wouldnt have any duplicates. This would take account of any insertions or deletions in previously captured data. Alternatively, assuming the users dont delete or insert rows in the middle of stuff you grabbed before, you could have a sheet with a record of each workbook's previous last row, and then modify your copy range to suit.

Jmacleary, firstly thank you for replying and wiping the data in the master file each time I run the grab would absolutely work, is there a way of inserting this to happen as part of the run to save the process being done manually?

Upvote 0
Ok. All thats needed is this small addition immediately before your Do While line:
Code:
Sheet1.Rows("2:" & Format(erow)).EntireRow.ClearContents
That assumes your data starts in row 2, if not, adjust the 2 to suit.

PS I notice you stop the run when you hit the master file name - what if you had a file like ZUmba.xlsm, which would be after your master file? It wouldnt get read at all. Is this a problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok. All thats needed is this small addition immediately before your Do While line:
Code:
That assumes your data starts in row 2, if not, adjust the 2 to suit.

PS I notice you stop the run when you hit the master file name - what if you had a file like ZUmba.xlsm, which would be after your master file? It wouldnt get read at all. Is this a problem?

jmacleary, that worked like a dream and has solved the problem!!! Thankfully there will be no workbook starting with the letter Z as I did initially have this proble when I had the file just called master file........and it wasn't retreaving any data past that file as you explained so I figured that was the problem and renamed it so it would pull all the files. I'm sure it's be far not the best solution but it got it working haha

Many thanks again for all your help!!

I am planning to do a course on excel to further my knowledge as it's an amazing bit of software that really interests me

Upvote 0
Thats good. You could improve the code to just skip the master file by:
Code:
Dim Filepath As String
Dim erow
Filepath = "C:\Users\paulb\Desktop\EmployeeProject"
MyFile = Dir(Filepath)
Do While Len(MyFile) > 0
[COLOR=#b22222]If MyFile <> "ZMasterFile.xlsm" Then[/COLOR]
ActiveWorkbook.Close

ActiveSheet.Paste Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(erow, 1), Cells(erow, 13))
MyFile = Dir
[COLOR=#b22222]End If[/COLOR]
Loop

End Sub
This would work whatever files were in the folder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That works even better many thanks - Now I have it working on my laptop I just need to figure out how to get it to run in a folder on a network drive. I changed the Filepath = to what I believe to be the file path but it doesn't retrieve any of the data so I am guessing I have the file path wrong some how lol

Upvote 0
Hello again. If you use Filepath=<code>Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path instead of your hard-coded path, that will pick up the current directory. It then shouldn't matter where the folder actually lives.

And, I may have introduced an infinite loop in your code. The End if should be before the MyFile=Dir.

Regards
John
</code>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the continued support in getting this to work John,

I tried the below code in a folder with the 3 Workbooks I want to extract the data from to test it however it's not pulling any data in for some reason?

Dim Filepath As String
Dim erow
Filepath = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path
MyFile = Dir(Filepath)

Do While Len(MyFile) > 0
If MyFile <> "ZMasterFile.xlsm" Then

ActiveWorkbook.Close

End If

MyFile = Dir

Loop

End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry, not sure why - I'm off home in a few minutes but I'll have a look later - might be around 9pm by then though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back