Remove individual data points from graph

sarahrosenberg

Board Regular
I am making a series of graphs (mostly column charts) from a dataset (In Excel 2007). In my dataset, there are random datapoints missing. I don't want to re-copy & paste the dataset, removing the different rows with the missing data, for each graph. But, I would like the missing datapoint not included in the graph. Is there a way to completely remove the point, not just substitute a "0" or a space?

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
On the errant data point in the graph:
Right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click. This should bring you to the "edit data point" screen. Then select no border, and no fill.

Upvote 0
I tried this, and it did not bring up what you described. And if I get to that screen and do what you say won't I still have a space in my graph? Since my dataset has blanks, there is already a blank space in my graph. I want to get rid of the blank space, without deleting the row of data, since I might need that row for my other graphs. (Is it just me, or are graphs in Excel 2007 hard??)

Upvote 0
In Excel 2007, it's double-left-click, and then "Format Data Point"

If you hide a row in your data table, the corresponding graph doesn't show it, doing what you want. You may have to make multiple copies or split your data table into multiple smaller sub-tables, so you can hide and show rows based on the characteristics of the actual data (which variables it is missing and you want to suppress).

Upvote 0
Hi Sarah

If your chart has just 1 series you can apply the autofilter and hide the rows with the value 0.

Another solution, that would require more work, is be to base the chart on a dynamic series that automatically adjusts when a value is zero.

Upvote 0
Autofilter would hide the entire row in my dataset, correct? The problem is, I am graphing from about 15 different columns, and the blank cells in each column aren't always in the same row. I suspect what I am trying to do cannot be done! Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back