replace a text value with time value in formula

andrewb90

Hello all,

I'm a bit lost on how to go about this:

Both F10 & D10 are time values (start and end times for a work shift) Now, occasionally the F10 time will not display a time but rather say "CLOSE", is there a way for my formula to look at this as not a word but as whatever value is actually in J5?
In this example J5 would represent 23:00 so if D10 were 17:00 then the cell would return a value of "30"

Code:
=SWITCH(C10,"FOH - Day Shift","","FOH - Night Shift","","BOH - Day Shift","","BOH - Night Shift","","Prep & Maintenance","","Managers","",IF(C10="","",IF((MOD([COLOR=#ff0000]F10[/COLOR]-D10,1)*24)<Initial!$F$53,"N",IF((MOD(F10-D10,1)*24)>=Initial!$F$52,"30","15"))))

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
It's not clear how J5 relates to anything! can you provide a tabular mock-up of the data?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Since I don't have any of your data to test, I'm only addressing that part of your formula, I also removed the quote marks around the numbers (if you want them to be numeric values rather than text):

=SWITCH(C10,"FOH - Day Shift","","FOH - Night Shift","","BOH - Day Shift","","BOH - Night Shift","","Prep & Maintenance","","Managers","",IF(C10="","",IF((MOD(IF(F10="CLOSE",J5,F10)-D10,1)*24)=Initial!$F$52,30,15)))

Upvote 0
J5 is just a reference. Basically "CLOSE" can mean anytime, but If I typed 23:00 into the formula and then if it needed to be changed to 23:15, then I would have to adjust each formula instead of just changing J5. which would change all 200+ formulas that need to reference the CLOSE time.

Does that make sense? I can still do a mock up if needed

Upvote 0
Not to me, sorry! I need a visual on this - a tabular mock-up that can be copied and pasted into Excel would be best: you can copy and paste into your reply from your workbook.

EDIT: Having re-read your post, I think you need the INDIRECT function, but I'm not completely sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Since I don't have any of your data to test, I'm only addressing that part of your formula, I also removed the quote marks around the numbers (if you want them to be numeric values rather than text):

=SWITCH(C10,"FOH - Day Shift","","FOH - Night Shift","","BOH - Day Shift","","BOH - Night Shift","","Prep & Maintenance","","Managers","",IF(C10="","",IF((MOD(IF(F10="CLOSE",J5,F10)-D10,1)*24)=Initial!$F$52,30,15)))

I think we are on the right track, however the formula returns "15" regardless of what value is in J5.

Upvote 0
I made some tweaks to the formula that you sent and I made it work! Thank you!

Code:
=SWITCH(C10,"FOH - Day Shift","","FOH - Night Shift","","BOH - Day Shift","","BOH - Night Shift","","Prep & Maintenance","","Managers","",IF(C10="","",IF((MOD(IF(F10="CLOSE",J5,F10)-D10,1)*24)>=Initial!$F$52,"30",IF((MOD(IF(F10="CLOSE",J5,F10)-D10,1)*24)<Initial!$F$53,"N","15"))))

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Read your post #6 and #7, you had a couple of extra brackets in the original formula, so here's the updated version, but if you got it to work, Great.

Again, I suggest not putting quotes around the numbers 30 and 15.

=SWITCH(C10,"FOH - Day Shift","","FOH - Night Shift","","BOH - Day Shift","","BOH - Night Shift","","Prep & Maintenance","","Managers","",IF(C10="","",IF(MOD(IF(F10="CLOSE",J5,F10)-D10,1)*24=Initial!$F$52,30,15)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back