Replacing a long integer with text in VBA

Teeks2k

Hello,

This is my first post but I do frequent these forums often trying to figure out how to fix my VBA codes, but I am still struggling with my current issue.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I am comparing 2 worksheets to see if Product A is on Sheet B, and I have about 80,000 lines to go through, so in Excel I use =IF(ISNA(VLookup(arg1,arg2,arg3,arg4)),"N","Y"), this will return a simple yes it is on the sheet, or a no it is not.

I've been trying to do this in VBA and am having some problems, so first I created a loop to do exactly what I did before

Code:
Sub Columnformatting1()
'// Convert Long Integer to Y

For i = 1 To Range("D200000").End(xlUp).Row - 1
    Range("G" & i + 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.If(WorksheetFunction.IsNA(WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Range("D" & i + 1).Value, Range("Vaccines")), 1, 0), "N", "Y")
    Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.If(WorksheetFunction.IsNA(WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Range("D" & i + 1).Value, Range("EXDS")), 1, 0), "N", "Y")

Next

Resume Next
End Sub

This didn't work because it didn't know what to do when the product was not found so I got a Vlookup error, I added an "On Error GoTo" command and the only thing I get is an "N", which I know to be incorrect.

I was able to get Vlookup to work, see the screenshot here, Column D is the lookup value, Column G and Y are the results. What I am trying to do from here is to convert all the on numbers in either column G or Y to text "Y" and I am not sure how to do this...I tried the following IF - THEN code but it didn't change anything.

Code:
Sub Columnformatting1()
'// Convert Long Integer to Y

On Error GoTo NotFound:

For i = 1 To Range("D200000").End(xlUp).Row - 1

Range("G" & i + 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Range("D" & i + 1).Value, Range("Vaccines"), 1, 0)
    Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Range("D" & i + 1).Value, Range("EXDS"), 1, 0)

Next

NotFound:

Range("G" & i + 1).Value = "N"
    Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = "N"

Resume Next

If Range("G" & i + 1).Value = "N" Then
    Range("G" & i + 1).Value = "N"
        Else
            Range("G" & i + 1).Value = "Y"
End If

If Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = "N" Then _
    Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = "N"
        Else
            Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = "Y"
End If

End Sub

I also tried to code the IF portion of the code like this, which also did nothing

Code:
If Range("G" & i + 1).Value <> "N" Then
    Range("G" & i + 1).Value = "Y"
End If

If Range("Y" & i + 1).Value <> "N" Then _
    Range("Y" & i + 1).Value = "Y"
End If

This seems like it would such a simple thing to do but I am having the hardest time converting these numbers to a simple Y. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Welcome to the forums!

We should be able to take care of this rather easily with the .Find method. If I understand correctly, you just simply want to return a Y/N in column G if the value is/isn't found in the named range "Vaccines", and you want to return a Y/N in column Y if the value is/isn't found in the named range "EXDS".

Give this a shot:

Code:
Public Sub Teeks2k()
Dim rng     As Range, _
    tmp     As String, _
    LR      As Long, _
    i       As Long

Dim sWS     As Worksheet

Set sWS = ActiveSheet

LR = sWS.Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
End With

For i = 1 To LR
    tmp = sWS.Range("D" & i).Value
    With Range("Vaccines")
        Set rng = .Find(tmp, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
        If Not rng Is Nothing Then
            'value was found
            sWS.Range("G" & i).Value = "Y"
        Else
            'value was not found
            sWS.Range("G" & i).Value = "N"
        End If
    End With
    Set rng = Nothing
    With Range("EXDS")
        Set rng = .Find(tmp, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
        If Not rng Is Nothing Then
            'Value was found
            sWS.Range("Y" & i).Value = "Y"
        Else
            'Value was not found
            sWS.Range("Y" & i).Value = "N"
        End If
    End With
    Set rng = Nothing
Next i

With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
I had to add a +1 to the range because this changed my headers, but other then that this works perfect

Thank you!

Upvote 0
This .find method is essential a VLookup right? Is there a benefit to doing it this way vs the way I did it before? Other than being able to specify the value that you want to return...

Upvote 0
The .Find method is using the same process as using CTRL+F. It is beneficial to do it this way, as it has very little overhead calculation (meaning it calculates and processes significantly faster). There is also a host of things you can do with the .Find method that you cannot do with the VLOOKUP, because the Find method returns a range object, and VLOOKUP returns a value. With the range object, we're able to do things in relation to the found cell. In this case, we're only checking to see if a cell was found. In other cases, we could, for example, change the formatting of the found cell, adjust the value or a cell that is in relation to the found cell (i.e. do something to the cell 2 columns to the right with rng.offset(0,2)).

Hope that makes sense. Glad I was able to help find a working solution for you, and thanks for the feedback! :)

Upvote 0
The values in column D, the Vaccine and EXDS lists are relatively small, 20 lines or so each.

Upvote 0
The values in column D, the Vaccine and EXDS lists are relatively small, 20 lines or so each.
:confused: What did you mean by "and I have about 80,000 lines to go through" which you wrote in your original message? And where does it figure into what you are asking us for?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back