Report issue - table locked

SKV

In order to see analytics for a small group of data from a large dataset (2M + rcds), I planned to run report with following steps

1) Create a temp table with data based on a time range (defined by user)
2) Run queries on this temp table
3) Display queries results on report

I am using a macro to run the above steps.

When I open the report, it already has information in it based on lasttime query. Now if I try to run a macro, I get an error
"The database engine could not lock table xyz because it is already in use by another person or process".
How can I avoid this prob?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Why are you creating another table?

Can't you just use a query for the record source of the report?

By the way, creating a table could actually cause a whole load of problems - have you checked the size of your database.:)

Upvote 0
Norie - My main table has millions of records =which slows my queries - so I extract data from it into a table (approx 50,000 rcds) to make my queries run faster.

so you mean that if I

Why are you creating another table?

Can't you just use a query for the record source of the report?

By the way, creating a table could actually cause a whole load of problems - have you checked the size of your database.:)

Upvote 0
Norie - My main table has millions of records =which slows my queries - so I extract data from it into a table (approx 50,000 rcds) to make my queries run faster.

So if I do it as per your suggestion then I have to put those filters again and again on each query. What you say.

Also can you help me in runing a query based on a value entered on the report form. I tried forms![report name].[text box name] but it doesnot seems to work. Plus I am not seeing my text box on the report view. I set the text box as unbound. Please guide.

Thanks
SKV

Upvote 0
When I open the report, it already has information in it based on lasttime query. Now if I try to run a macro, I get an error
"The database engine could not lock table xyz because it is already in use by another person or process".
How can I avoid this prob?
The report has to be closed in order for the query to run, if you are using a make table query. If you just delete the data and then append to it, you can have the report open and do the data change, but you would need to requery the report for the new data to show. I wouldn't open the report until the data has been completely appended.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessbob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back